Strike two !

dirt dick

Elite Member
Well so far this year,
after researching and seeking permissions at 2 different locations.
it's 0 for 2 :frustrated:
The first site was at a private property right behind my childhood home,
where myself and a gang of kids grew up building tree forts, cliff climbing, riding go carts, fishing and playing.... not one time can I recall any of the neighbor hood kids ever getting hurt...?
The same property owner still lives there He said,
" Well my insurance company said that a tree could fall on you".....

Yesterday I tracked down the owner of a once turn of the century town,
It thrived from 1895- till about 1920
now a ghost town turn cattle pasture, of close to 40 acres.
the old house and building foundations still stand & what is left of those buildings have been filled with junk like old tin,wire and junk.
I tried to explain that I wouldn't be near any foundations or any structures, that I would be concentrating my efforts more so in the open areas, where the streets were at, and the far side of town that looks like a baseball field
(earth google)
I asked the owner and his response was, close to the same as the first,
"Well those basements and the standing walls could fall in, so it could be quite dangerous."

:frustrated: REALLY HAS THERE BEEN SOME SORT OF SHIFT IN THE GRAVATION OF THE EARTH THAT I'M NOT AWARE OF ? or ARE WE EXPECTING ONE SOON? :mad:

Last edited:
Offer to sign an insurance waver.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Most people are overly cautious these days, and so am I. It's not like when I was younger and nobody really cared where you went just as long as you closed gates behind you. Keep knocking. I just got a new one Tue. by accident. joe

Are you bringing up the potential of danger when you approach the owners? Even if you mean to be reassuring, planting the seed by saying "and I'll be super careful not to get hurt", etc., may make them think twice?

I wouldn't give up on the guy that lives near your childhood home. I'd bring back cookies and try again, and again and again...wear him down with kindness...that would be so cool if you found some of your old stuff.

He's just being polite using the Insurance line . Ya need to understand that a lot of people don't care about your hobby . I own land , I only let a couple close friends hunt deer here . You would be surprised how nasty some get when ya say no , it's only 20 acres , But it is my back yard . So think of the land as your back yard and reasons you might say no . ,,,,,HH

if they are worried about getting sued offer insurance waiver. Also I find offering up to do chores around the place for a few hours in exchange for permision, often ropes people right in.

Are you bringing up the potential of danger when you approach the owners? Even if you mean to be reassuring, planting the seed by saying "and I'll be super careful not to get hurt", etc., may make them think twice?

I wouldn't give up on the guy that lives near your childhood home. I'd bring back cookies and try again, and again and again...wear him down with kindness...that would be so cool if you found some of your old stuff.

I used to shovel his sidewalk in the winter time and deliver newspapers, when I was a teenager.
I said, "if you should change your mind, I'd love to try to find some sort of history that I could show you."
Yeah, the insurance bit, it's his polite way of saying no.:mad:

I used to shovel his sidewalk in the winter time and deliver newspapers, when I was a teenager.
I said, "if you should change your mind, I'd love to try to find some sort of history that I could show you."
Yeah, the insurance bit, it's his polite way of saying no.:mad:
A few pictures from the first area behind my childhood home.
You can see why I would really like to detect there... the house was built in 1900, behind the house top right picture is a 3 story carriage house for horse and buggys
72cebcb90b97b7baf5a92fde231797fb.jpg

89b18ddc5ed55ab0155a044d8b532d1c.jpg

Not a tower, but a rounded stone staircase that leads from the back yard of the home, down to the "garden area"
ceeafe673eb246cff6da07eef9b07ef8.jpg

Note the stone wall along the creek maybe 100yds long, kind of a sitting bench as well.
f890c7f8d5ef513ea9dd8d29363ed234.jpg

[emoji31] [emoji31] [emoji31]

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Get some business cards made up with your name, not real name phone # make it like your selling your services to the owner mail it to the individual or land owner keep it simple works for me not all the time

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

.... right behind my childhood home,
where myself and a gang of kids grew up building tree forts, cliff climbing, riding go carts, fishing and playing.......

How was being there as a kid ok (playing, climbing trees, etc...) ok, but not ok to be there now ? Perhaps you were a guest of the kid that lived there at the time ? Or you knocked on their door and they gave you neighborhood kids permission ? If so, how did they overcome this mental "insurance issues" block at that time ? :?:

And how did you get the great pix of the site to show in this post ? Standing on the peripheries, aiming over a fence with a zoom lense ? Or could you go right onto the place and take those pix ?

How was being there as a kid ok (playing, climbing trees, etc...) ok, but not ok to be there now ? Perhaps you were a guest of the kid that lived there at the time ? Or you knocked on their door and they gave you neighborhood kids permission ? If so, how did they overcome this mental "insurance issues" block at that time ? :?:

And how did you get the great pix of the site to show in this post ? Standing on the peripheries, aiming over a fence with a zoom lense ? Or could you go right onto the place and take those pix ?

His kids were about 8 years older than me, but there were many kids in the neighborhood, His daughter baby sat for my parents.
perhaps he has just become a crotchety old man ?
The photo.... there is a public right of way bridge adjacent to the property.

Back
Top Bottom