• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Honest opinions of MX Sport owners

longbow62

Forum Supporter
I would be interested in the honest opinions of MX Sport owners who have experience with other machines. In my case it will be used on land more than water, but I want the ability to hunt the creeks and small rivers in my area. Even though it will be used some in water I would still like it compared to land only metal detectors in it's approximate price range.

I have read about all the earlier problems with it's introduction to the market. Since it's new there is not much about it video wise or in forum threads compared to other detectors. Most forum threads are about the early problems. Does Whites have these problems fixed now? If not for really wanting the ability to hunt water I would probably not even consider it.

I would be interested in the honest opinions of MX Sport owners who have experience with other machines. In my case it will be used on land more than water, but I want the ability to hunt the creeks and small rivers in my area. Even though it will be used some in water I would still like it compared to land only metal detectors in it's approximate price range.

I have read about all the earlier problems with it's introduction to the market. Since it's new there is not much about it video wise or in forum threads compared to other detectors. Most forum threads are about the early problems. Does Whites have these problems fixed now? If not for really wanting the ability to hunt water I would probably not even consider it.

I had one.
Here's what I did with it.
http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,113779,113779#msg-113779

For land hunting,,using stock coil,,better build those biceps up.

Audio quality I feel is lacking.
If you like good modulation on a detector,,,this particualr model may not be the one for you.

I won't say anything else.

I was honest though.

Get a At pro..I mean,there's not much any machine will find that the Garrett AT pro won't.As for a multi purpose water machine,land machine,coin or jewlery ,it stands alone,regardless of price.

I've run fisher, bh, garrett and whites. I used my dfx for years but never completely loved it. Too sensitive to emi. I've enjoyed my mx sport a lot. It's not light but I can swing it for as long as I want to hunt which is usually 2 to 3 hours. It's a very sensitive machine. No emi problems. I don't like how it ground balances. When I pump the coil, it never goes silent so I'm never sure of how good the balance is. The vdi seems to work fine. Like most machines it gets fooled but if it says quarter it's almost always a quarter and so on. There's quite a broad mid range that simply says miscellaneous and doesn't even guess whereas my dfx did list a probable target but was usually wrong in the mid vdi range. The tones aren't great and it's all digital so there really isn't any nuance to the sounds. It sometimes gives one way only hits. On most machines that usually isn't worth digging. On the sport it's usually a good target. I think it's something to do with the coil design.
Where it shines is in the modes or programs. Just pick one and set the sensitivity where you like. You can adjust sensitivity and threshold on the fly. It's simple to operate.

Is it worth the money? If you like whites machines, I say yes. If the brand doesn't matter, I'd say it's expensive for the performance. Anyone that wants to get into detecting and asks me what to get I tell them to get an at pro. Legendary performance at a good price.

Okay not much love for the MX Sport so far. Dang I like the looks of it better than an ATP. I really liked the larger viewfinder on the MX Sport.

I don't mean to be discouraging longbow, it's just my opinion. It is a good machine and the form factor and big screen are really nice. I think the machine took a massive hit when the rollout didn't match the hype and the excitement. Then, the initial rollout issues (which many machines have had) were handled poorly by whites. Eventually, it all got sorted out. Whites fixed the issues and covered the shipping. Unfortunately, the MD community was pretty unforgiving about it all. It's a big chunk of change to drop on a hobby only to find problems that should have been caught in beta testing.
Before you pull the trigger on it or walk away, watch more videos on youtube. There are plenty for and against. The silverslingers use the sport and have lots of videos.

If you pick the sport, you'll enjoy it. I just don't think the price point is in line with the performance.

I know i came to this thread 2+ years late and longbow has long since made his purchase. Since I bought a sport about 5 months ago i was snooping around to gather others more recent opinion of it.

I'm a whites fan and really wanted the sport but now am less than thrilled with it. As others have said on this thread and thus have verified my own opinion, it's heavy, I don't care for the tones, I still have one dickens of a time getting to the search mode in options (my personal bighest gripe). I will say though it is more sensitive than the few other machines I do or did own; m6, mx5, macro racer 2 and my old retired whites class sL 2 (not in the same league I know).

For my type of hunting my sweetheart is still my mx5. Shame it never got more press and was discontinued in 2018. With my 12" concentric coil I Can still hit small targets just as deep as the sport. Two more things; as someone else previously said, the "miscellaneous" ID seems dumb to put on a machine, and once I laid down one of my gold coins I found a few years back with a lesser machine and put the sport in prospecting mode to see if the word gold would actually pop up (air test only). It did not, only a vdi number did. The word gold only seems to pop up below nickel and foil.

Since I'm bullheaded and didn't want to nuy what everyone raves about, mainly the equanox 800 I wish I would have gotten a mxt all pro or Fisher f75.

Sent from my LG-H871S using Tapatalk

Hi ecmo
I had the MX Sport and did not like the balance with the stock DD coil or that coil in particular. I got rid of my MX Sport as fast as I could. I liked my MX5 better too especially the stock spider coil. I got a deal I could not refuse recently for the MX7 with the stock 950 coil and the Detech 7" DD. The MX7 is like a faster version of the MX5 with better audio and more raw power in my opinion. The Detech 7" coil is outstanding and the 950 coil is great too. The Detech 7" coil is a deep coil and easily hits 8" test garden targets and air tests a nickel out to 9.5". The 950 air tests a nickel out to 11.5". So, I can understand not wanting the extra weight of the MX Sport vs the MX5 or MX7. Maybe with the Detech 7" coil the MX Sport would not feel so heavy.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom