Lets make Classifieds safer for all of us!

MexGT

For the FS threads, as a matter of safety for the forum members, to implement as a rule of taking a picture of the item listed with a piece of paper with the username, date and location just for the member to know that it's really an item he owns and he is selling, not a copied random image of internet, for example.... this is what is being used in a mustang forum I'm part of too: (http://www.s197forum.com/)

20130910_092600_zps6463ad8b.jpg

There are several guys selling items with less than 50 post count and 0 rating so that may be fishy for a lot of us, specially when buying detectors of $1,000+ usd. :(

I Would like to everyone comment on the idea so the Admins can take into consideration this proposal knowing the forum members are ok with it or not !

HH and GL !!

I see your concern, but I can get a photo of anything. That does not mean I am going to send it to you after you give me your money. The internet is a great medium for scamming people. Post counts and buyer ratings are a big help.
If the photo thing worked on another site, I am all for it. Personally, I'll take a photo of their drivers license instead.

microsoft something or another would fix that in no time.
Dunno if that'll help. Gotta go with your gut instinct is all

It doesn't make me feel anymore secure. I can get photo's anywhere. I can even take a photo of my own stuff and then not send it to you. I'm not against it, but I don't see the point really.

I'm with NYNURSE, you have to go with your gut.

I do love the ratings system here, that makes me feel more secure.

So....
You mean like this?

classified_zpsd19b1ff4.jpg

If someone wants to scam, it's difficult to stop them. But, this will help when combined with other things like post counts and ratings, as others have said.

I never said this is a scam proof method, just an opinion to keep things a bit safer ...

I agree, though... The more things in favor, the more confident you can be. This will be a good thing.

So....
You mean like this?

classified_zpsd19b1ff4.jpg

If someone wants to scam, it's difficult to stop them. But, this will help when combined with other things like post counts and ratings, as others have said.

see how easy that would be. Gut instinct. Only way to go. That and the rating system.

Not sure about other type forums but what works for me on the metal detecting forums is to read the feedback sections.

I totally understand your concerns, and that is why we RELY on the feedback! For me the FEEDBACK is more important that the $$. I value my reputation and the purchasers satisfaction more than a quick buck. I believe that's why FEEBAy has been so successful in the past, as I won't purchase from anyone without at least a 99% positive rating. You don't have to be perfect in my world, but if you don't have a good name it will always come back to bite ya! One other thing I would suggest to forum members is to try and always leave feedback it only takes a few seconds and may help someone else!

see how easy that would be. Gut instinct. Only way to go. That and the rating system.

So....
You mean like this?

Just tell me the ODDS of having another MD forum out there that has this safety system and a picture with a sheet of paper in it for a potential scammer to just copy the image, edit it and post it here?

If it's of an item that has already been sold here, there are HIGH chances that any member that saw the exact same image and its reposted with different info, he/she can report it, just as if the image didn't had the paper with info in it, nothing complicated, but having the paper in it will atleast make anyone to be sure it's from this forum.

Besides, making a paper and write any info in it will take you 30 secs tops... lol :yes:

Not a bad Idea but I have found that PMing the person I deal with and getting a Phone number to them is better for me as a converstion over the Phone sometimes eases my mind but then you have to go with a gut instinct sometimes as well as check their feedback through others

Not a bad Idea but I have found that PMing the person I deal with and getting a Phone number to them is better for me as a converstion over the Phone sometimes eases my mind but then you have to go with a gut instinct sometimes as well as check their feedback through others

you mean you've met other detectorists that'll actually talk, not run away??

I understand your concerns about wanting to upgrade our system, but...I firmly believe in the feedback system here. I've earned my good name, as have many others, the old fashioned way, by being honest and dependable. The words of our buyers/sellers here goes a LONG way in my book. Don't fix what ain't broke. : )

Its just another method of "security" or safety, not the only one to rely on, anyone can deal with a buying/selling item as they please ...

Back
Top Bottom