I never see any other people M.D.ing.

I live 100 miles west of Minneapolis and I don't see many either, but there are a few. Yes people sometimes do look at you strange. I have had police drive by very slowly but none have ever stopped. One time I was detecting by some old swings at an old park and a pretty young girl came walking up and asked if I was finding anything just as I was digging out another coin. I held up the penny proudly and said "its a penny"! She gave me that "your weird" look, rolled her eyes and went away laughing. I didn't show here the pocket full of quarters I found. :sweet: I had one guy who lived accross the street from an old school I was detecting at and he came over to see what I was doing. He had never seen a detector before and didn't know how it worked. He watched and talked and talked and talked and talked. I finally gave up and said I had to get going. I wasn't getting anything done anyway after having to listen to his whole life story. Thought I would come back when he was at work but then I found out he was unemployed and had nothing but time. And he smokes so he always sits out on the front step because his wife won't let him smoke inside.:gaah:

I am waiting for some new generation of detectors as small
as cell phones with laser scanner .
We could then detect without being observed :D;)

I was detecting one day when three young girls walked by. They were about nine or ten years old. One girl asked what I was looking for, I said old silver coins, my standard reply. I don't like to say rings and jewelery I think people get the wrong impression. They probably think we find their grandparents wedding rings or class rings and melt them down in our basements.

She put a quarter on the ground and said can it find this, I unplugged the microphone cable and demonstrated that it could indeed find the quarter. when I tried to give it back to her she insisted I keep it, I tried to give it back again and she said no "she didn't need it"

I realized then that she thought I needed the money and I was doing this for a living. I put the quarter in my pocket and thanked her. She walked away feeling good for having helped out a poor soul down on his luck.

If you saw a picture of me in my usual MD'ing attire including my mud covered knee pads, You might understand why thought I needed the quarter more than she did.:D

Just go hunting, unless there is a pack of tiny kids. If they inquires what I maybe finding or joking. I just say stand back, there maybe a bees nest in this hole. Generally the small kids are just interested, I really tell those, a few pennies here and there. Then give them the next penny or toy I find.
Kids get bored quick, they are here one second and gone the next.

Any other passerby, standard reply-a bunch of pennies and pull tabs. Now if they actually are interested, will give them more info and show them some quarters and tell them about finds from hunts long ago......you never know who you may meet while hunting. I actually took a world famous rock band singer's wife's brother hunting. Too bad he couldn't bend down much, he fell thru the stage after a concert....Klutz:lol:

I detect during the day and never worry about being watched. My daughter and wife gets a little embarrased when we're at the beach and I start detecting. A week ago my father and I went to a local beach at first light on a negative low tide and there were 5 others there already detecting. I once went to an old homesite and was hunting and when I finished and was leaving another guy pulled up and pulled out his detector. I had already put mine away and he never knew I just finished working the spot over. This was in the middle of nowhere too. There are a lot more detecting than most people realize.

I say fug and feed um beans, I don't care who's watchin me... I know I meet a lot of women at the beach who are interested, too bad I'm married some of them are the nice cougars...rawwwww!!!

OK, so have been out a few more times... it does get a bit easier... lol.

Next hurdle will be to actually "dig" for something in one of the parks or school yards... still can't bring myself to do that.... feels like someone will come hollering once they see - gasp! A tiny shovel or screwdriver. This is gonna take some getting used to. Again, never considered myself shy, but just something not feeling right about going after a target under the ground in a park or school yard. :grin:

I envy ya'll that can do that... 'cause I really would like to know what is "under there". :yes:

Speaking of which, is there some "trick" to using a probe (screwdriver)... have tried a few times... don't feel anything under there??? Whats the secret to using a screwdriver as a probe in a park? Gotta be one. ;)

Thanks!

I FINALLY saw another MDer on Sun....I should've pulled over and talked to her...woulda been nice to have another girl to go hunting with:yes:

Now I'll probably never see her again....missed a great opportunity there:( Oh Well!! :D

I never see anybody here in the Denver area either. I know they are there, I just havnt seen them. I am only 42 and always wear headphones. I must look menacing or something because I have never been approached, or had anybody say anything to me. There were sometimes when I was in Iraq that I would have killed to have my xlt with me. I would have liked to be able to say that I was the first to md sadams yard. Then wondered how much crap I would have been given for doing it lol

My first time MDing alone was at a local park and got permission to MD the sand volleyball courts and nature trail only but it was worth the compromise. Anyhow, about an hour into it I look up and see a cop parked facing me for must've been like 30 minutes. I figured he was watching what I was doing with the lesche since it looks like a weapon. I gotta a chuckle from it and he left shortly after.

FYI. I noticed the grassy columns that are in between where people park are great for coins.

MC - What do you care about what others think ? What's more important -1, you being seen by people you dont know & probably will never see again or 2, digging up all kinds of treasures, something that most people can't do.

It's your choice, Steve in so az

I went MDing for the first time at the beach this past weekend. I waited for the crowd to thin down some, and got my detector out. I hadnt had it out 2 min. when I saw another guy with one. 20 min. later I saw a third guy with his.

The only other detectorist I've ever seen is the one i sold my bounty hunter to. i enjoy talking with him and seeing that he's doing pretty well with the detector, he pretty much stays in the dry dry sand...Other than him, i've never seen anyone else detecting here. Should have sold the detector to someone further away!

I still haven't seen anyone else out detecting in over two years detecting. I've had a few people come up and chat and 1 or 2 claim to be detectorists, however I got the idea they're not really into it.

I was at an ol' park the other day and the groundskeeper snuck up on me. (He was changing trashbags) I thought he was gonna give me fits but he turned out to be a nice guy and said he sees people MD'ing there from time to time...

I get some strange looks sometime but I don't let it bother me. To me it's no different than playing basketball at a park or frisbee or horseshoes or running or volleyball. I'm just there to enjoy something I love doing.

When I put those headphones on and start digging targets, I just tune everything else out...

HH

I had two guys (MDers) approach me at an elem. school. They invited me to their MD club meeting. Also had a local cop stop one day, and found out he was a MDer. I have only seen one other MDer besides these, and I was not able to stop that day to talk to him.

I had a cop stop me one saturday morning at an elementry school. I had just dug a coin, stood up and adjusted my belt when a cruiser rolled up. He yelled out his window " Hey, what are you doing with your pants down!" Of course I walked right up to him and said "What the hell are you talking about?" I was angry to say the least. :mad: After a few more sarcastic words from me, Of course he told me to get out of there and dont come back. I was not hurting anyone and having a nice day and this joker really pulled my chain with his comment. I don't like seeing cops when I'm detecting to this day. I think they see us as bums looking for whiskey money. Don't get me wrong, I respect the police, but did he really need to go there? Had to vent.

Back
Top Bottom