Found A possible Spot

bubbaron

Forum Supporter
I did some research and found this spot that was at one time a very fancy resort in the Victorian era. It has two large lakes but it's now a local town water supply. I tried to get permission to MD but was told that they will not allow anyone on that property. It's too bad for I am sure it would yield some good finds. I don't want to get arrested so I gave up on that one. Oh well, I'll keep on researching and looking.
Bubbaron NOX 600, AT PRO, AT CARROT PIN POINTER

Before I tried to get permission to detect this site, I went and looked it over. There are private property signs all over with all kinds of signs stating NO FISHING, NO HUNTING, ETC. It also states trespassers will be arrested. I was turned down flat when I asked if I could detect this area.

I wonder if those signs are just ... uh ... "obligatory" signs. And the answer you got was the "obligatory" answer. Maybe, maybe not. I mean, you've said yourself it's public property. That's not to say that all public land is open, as in the fashion of a park, for instance. Eg.: For things like water shed, or pedestrians on the sides of freeways, there will always be the "obligatory" signs in our litigious age that we live in.

All I know, is if there had been a fancy victorian resort in my area, that was now just naked public water shed land, that spot would have been long-since worked over.

I wonder if those signs are just ... uh ... "obligatory" signs. And the answer you got was the "obligatory" answer. Maybe, maybe not. I mean, you've said yourself it's public property. That's not to say that all public land is open, as in the fashion of a park, for instance. Eg.: For things like water shed, or pedestrians on the sides of freeways, there will always be the "obligatory" signs in our litigious age that we live in.

All I know, is if there had been a fancy victorian resort in my area, that was now just naked public water shed land, that spot would have been long-since worked over.

Tom,sounds like you would jump right over that fence!:laughing:

Tom,sounds like you would jump right over that fence!:laughing:

Notice he made no reference to fences. Just signs. Well I got news for you: There's signs even at shopping centers (in the brass plaques on the entry driveways, that no one ever reads) that say something to the effect of "Private property. Permission to pass revokable. blah blah".

Oh well. I just know that no good spot like that, within 200 miles of me, has gone un-detected. Perhaps his spot has already been hammered. By persons who didn't ask as many questions ? Or found a different person-on-duty at the desk that day that wasn't having a bad hair day (ie.: answer you get = totally random/arbitrary)

First there are fences up all around both lakes very close to the water. The signs are all around the perimeter in the woods before the fences. I wanted to hunt the woods not the water. This property is patrolled regularly, even at night and it's the water supply for my town but I live rural so I have a well and do not use this water.
I have been detecting since early Sept. last year and have hunted lots of local places and hunt on average 4-5 days a week. I have NEVER seen another person detecting in my area. I am sure in California you have lots of competition but here I have none. Maybe the spot was detected before I even started detecting ??? So, no means no and I can't hunt this spot.

Any of the lakes that are part of the water supply for towns in NY all have these same type of restrictions. They get very particular when they see people by these areas. I remember a few years back they tried to arrest/ticket a person for taking a picture of a eagle from the edge of the road by the fence.

Better to move on.

Ray

If you think about it.. with the threat of Terrorism these days..NO ONE should be around our water supplies.. On this one I can't blame the archies for being a little more careful..

I most totally care about archies and eagle photographs. :roll: To do or think otherwise, would be totally insensitive. :blink:

This post is 100% backwards from what I feel like advice used to be 10 years ago.

I remember people would say hey I found this great spot, should I detect it? and the answer would be make sure you be polite and ask permission.

Now the standard answer (although admittedly mostly from Tom in CA) seems to be jump the fence dude don't let the man get you down!!! Public water supply? no problem! Federally protected wildlife reserve?? just go at night!! Fort Knox??? did you see a sign in the visitor center bathroom soap dispenser that said you couldn't detect?? no?? then go for it!!!!!!!

I am really glad that this time the post was about doing the right thing and making the right decision after receiving a "no" answer. Kudos to you OP, but sorry to hear about the decision of the authority there.

.... Now the standard answer (although admittedly mostly from Tom in CA) seems to be jump the fence dude don't let the man get you down!!! ....

BRJ123, I'll be the first to admit that I'm on the far end of the spectrum. I'm sure there's a balance somewhere in the middle.

You will notice that I do routinely put, as an aside, to "avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments". But what I do take exception with, is when people are on the extreme other side of the spectrum, and go asking permission at places where it's not needed in the first place. Eg.: showing up at city halls asking "can I detect in the park ?" and fetching "no's" at places where it was never an issue before.

I realize the current topic is neither of the above scenarios. It's an issue of signs.

So how about this: Did you ever go walking along the RR tracks as a kid ? If you look around closely , along RR tracks at various intervals, are signs saying "private property". There was a thread once where a guy was contemplating md'ing along some RR tracks (where I guess an old passenger platform used to be). And he was fretting himself silly about the signs, and who to ask, etc... It sort of struck several others of us as odd, since there's NO SHORTAGE of people who (gasp) walk along the RR tracks and no one cares less. So that is what I meant, when I said that I wonder if the signs are "obligatory".

Like the signs that started showing up @ the fences of school yards a few decades ago. Yet it never seems to stop someone from walking their dog, shooting hoops, playing ball, etc..... Those are known as "obligatory" signs. Can't say for sure whether that's the case in the present situation or not.

Probably not possible.
However, if you someone manage to make connections, you can rest assured that the place has never been searched before!

If you got a No, then I'd pass up on it. I don't like confrontation. But it is curious that it's public water supply but posted land. I know that most public water supply areas have the no fishing, no swimming, no boating, etc.

Back
Top Bottom