Need A Replacement For My Tesoro Compadre

napp

The Compadre was my first detector about 7 years ago. I only used it for a year or so before health problems interrupted my detecting. Chemo and other therapies have worked their magic and now I feel like getting out again. I pulled the Compadre from the closet a couple of days ago; and found it to be deader than a hammer. Fresh batteries didn't work...it doesn't make a peep when I switch it on. Meanwhile, I find that Tesoro has gone out of business; so I assume any sort of customer service is out of the question.

I realize that some significant advances have taken place in detector technology over the years; so rather than worry over the Compadre, I will just replace it. I have narrowed the field down to three tentative choices. The Teknetics Delta 4000 can be had for just over $200. The Nokta Makro Simplex is coming soon; and can be pre-ordered for about $250. Then, jumping to a different price range, the Minelab Equinox 600 seems like a smoking deal. They are currently offering an additional 6" coil free with purchase. I qualify for the 15% military discount; so this package would cost me $551. That option seems like a lot of value for the money to me.

Would appreciate any thoughts or comments you guys might have on the choices.

First and foremost congratulations on the recovery of your health.
I really like the Equinox 600 and think it is a solid performer. The Simplex looks interesting due to the price but it remains a single frequency detector. If you require a waterproof detector then those are your choices. I like the little 6” coil but hardly ever need it as I’m mainly a beach hunter.
The 600 is at a very good price point with your military discount and the free 6” coil.
The Minelab has a 3 year warranty compared to the Simplex’s 2 year warranty. Important is the simultaneous multi frequency of the Equinox if you’re doing saltwater beaches and highly mineralized ground.
Thank you for your Service and good luck!

I would go with the nox 600, that's probably one of the best deals going right now, in terms of "bang for your buck". Good luck out there, and welcome back!

Well, I have an Equinox 600 on the way. Ordered it from Bart at Big Boys Hobbies. UPS tracking says it will arrive Monday.

Meanwhile, I have found the online version of the owner's manual and been trying to do a little advance homework. It's hard to understand everything that's written without having the actual hardware in hand. I'm sure it will make more sense when I can actually play with all the bells and whistles.

I have many hours using 3 different Tesoros, 2 Fishers and now a Nox.
I hunt with the Nox in a very in a very Tesoro way, the screen is nice and can be helpful but for me it is mostly about the tones.
How , strong, if it repeats, what happens from a different direction.
Tons of info in those sounds, even the more iffy ones that just might turn out to be treasure.
The cool thing about these is you can control the pitch and tone of those signal to suit your hearing and target types and really notice the good stuff.
Like my Compadre my Nox never ceases to amaze me.

Have fun!

I printed the owner's manual and read through it last night....all 68 pages. By no means did I understand it all; but, now, I do have a feel for how it's organized; so it will be easy to find specific instructions as needed. I'm also watching every You Tube video that I can find which deals with the operation of the Equinox 600.

I stated this hobby in January of 2018 with a Tesoro Mojave. That year I dug $428 in clad plus gold and silver jewelry. I purchased an Equinox 600 in January of this year and like it a lot. I dug $35 in clad quarters yesterday with the 600. I will take the Mojave all day long in the tot lots and short quick hunts but the Equinox is a lot deeper as well you can cover a lot of ground faster. BTW have you tried plugging in a set of head phone into the Compadre. This will bypass the speaker and the head phone jack as possible problems.

I stated this hobby in January of 2018 with a Tesoro Mojave. That year I dug $428 in clad plus gold and silver jewelry. I purchased an Equinox 600 in January of this year and like it a lot. I dug $35 in clad quarters yesterday with the 600. I will take the Mojave all day long in the tot lots and short quick hunts but the Equinox is a lot deeper as well you can cover a lot of ground faster. BTW have you tried plugging in a set of head phone into the Compadre. This will bypass the speaker and the head phone jack as possible problems.

I had it set up with an adapter and blue tooth headphones when I was using it back in the day. At the present time, it doesn't seem to work with or without headphones. I have not tried a direct wired set of headphones; but that does seem like a logical move. May have to wait a few days for that, because........

My Nox 600 got here today. It's all assembled and plugged in for battery charging. My UPS delivery always runs late in the afternoon; so I probably won't get to play with it until tomorrow. Just looking down at the Double D 11" coil seems strange after being accustomed to the Compadre.

Edit: Where are you in South Central KY? My late wife was from Owensboro.

Does this military discount continue today? I'm sending an ACE 300 back bc of the salty sand thing. I live near Galveston,Tx., I should have read the description BETTER. Looks like I will get that 600 after the holidays. How is yours working? Ed

Back
Top Bottom