Long vacation leads to oldest coin!

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
Hitched up the trailer in late August, and traveled across the northern states, south through the great lake states, and back home via the plains states arriving last Sunday. Every place we camped, or stopped visiting relatives, save one, I got the 705 out and hunted. Some of the campsites were rich in clad while others were sparse. Rain was not my friend one morning, as was the freezing rain and cold when we got to WY. Occasionally I would find some wheaties in the campsites, but no silvers graced my coil. I hunted 2 early 1900 homes, and one late 1800 homestead where a cabin once stood. Due to time constraints, I was only able to grid one of the yards where I found the 1868 Indian (my new oldest coin!), the 1919D, and 2 1945 wheats close to each other. Unfortunately I had to pass up some iffy signals in order to complete the grid in time, and since the owners will be selling the house soon, I doubt that I will get another crack at it. Also found some old Canadian pennies at a fishing access near a cabin we stayed at.

101_5618.jpg

101_5623.JPG

I also found several relics during the trip that I will post here later. Thanks for looking, and HH!

Nice going on your oldest find. It looks to be in pretty decent shape from the front.

Nice,
I love to dig IH's. They are hard to find in central texas.
HH!

So do I. Found 3 here in MT, and 2 back in IN. Several people on this forum have said that they ring up like zincolns, and I have to agree. In old dirt, I dig the zinc.

Very good! Sounds like you had fun! :cool:

Thank you, and yes I did. Not enough time though.

Nice going on your oldest find. It looks to be in pretty decent shape from the front.

Thank you. Im thinking about cleaning it better, and sending it off to be graded.

Sweet vacation - that's everyone's dream - cross country dirt fishing!!!! Bet it was a total blast - bummer there were time constraints but that's so common with most vacations..........

Here is a pic of many of the relics I found...

101_5631.jpg

The cap gun was about 7" deep. I think the disk in the bottom right is the back of a pocket watch. The casings are stamped L C 42, which my buddy said they stood for Lake County 1942, and are WWII casings. The compact was found near the old farm house, its just too bad it wasnt in better condition. Some of these have writing/symbols on them, but they need to be cleaned up. Something I will do during the winter.

Looks like you had fun. Love IH pennies. A coin I remember finding when I was a kid. Wondered where you had been as I hadn't seen any posts from you.

Good hunting, it took me quite awhile to get into the 1800 dates and was a cent also..

oj/bc

Sweet vacation - that's everyone's dream - cross country dirt fishing!!!! Bet it was a total blast - bummer there were time constraints but that's so common with most vacations..........

Thanks, and it was. A couple of places we camped were loaded with clad. I would have liked to stay longer, but we had to move on. Next time!

Looks like you had fun. Love IH pennies. A coin I remember finding when I was a kid. Wondered where you had been as I hadn't seen any posts from you.

Thanks George. It was fun!

Good hunting, it took me quite awhile to get into the 1800 dates and was a cent also..
oj/bc

Thanks. Its a challenge here in big sky country where my local area was first settled in the 1890s, but occasionally they do turn up.

Love the IHP's!! One of the most beautiful coins out there.

Agreed!

Congratulations on the finds. Sounds like you had a great trip !!!!!
I haven't broke into the 1800s yet .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom