Why is my waterproof coil not detecting in water?

hillbillydigger

Elite Member
Supposedly the F2 coils are waterproof if submerged. I was hunting today at the swimming area at lake and stuck my coil in shallow water as far out as I could reach. The water was maybe 6 inches at the deepest. I thought it was odd the detector wasn't beeping considering how trashy the grassy area was. Well I came to a bottle cap laying on the surface and noticed my detector did not beep swinging it underwater right over top of the bottle cap laying right there. Why was the coil not working underwater?

Could it be mineralization because I noticed the machine hardly ever beeps over the sandy muddy grit right at the edge of the bank too and again this area is just trashed where people lay and sunbathe. I dug countless old cans and bottle caps from the grass, so its hard to believe none of that trash is in the water.

Here is another thread that addresses your question: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=66465

Thanks but it doesn't really address my question of why its not detecting when I stick the coil in water. Its not broken. It beeps when the coil is removed from water. The box at no time got water in it. After I gave up on water hunting I went back to the grass and found plenty.

Did you put a batteries in? Were they charged or did they go dead? Did you forget to turn the machine back on? Was the volume on your headphones turned up? These are simple questions... but often times lead to something we've all done before?:yes:

Did you put a batteries in? Were they charged or did they go dead? Did you forget to turn the machine back on? Was the volume on your headphones turned up? These are simple questions... but often times lead to something we've all done before?:yes:

Batteries charged. The machine was on. There is no volume control for headphones. I was detecting just find in grass, walk over to the water's edge and stick the coil in and it goes quiet even after I wave the detector over a bottle cap that is underwater. I scoot the bottle cap out of water, wave detector over it and suddenly it senses the it. I go on back to grass and continue detecting just fine. At no time were batteries removed nor go dead.

Think pretty much all coils are waterproof by design. The copper only has a thin layer of enamel for insulation, and the shape of the coil effects inductance, so they are potted in epoxy resin to protect the windings and hold the coil's shape. Really isn't a premium feature, but looks impressive to mention in the advertising department.

Really is strange that it doesn't work at all in the water, but fine immediately after. Might try a different area sometime, see if it does the same. I've never gone into the water around here, little dangerous, gators and poisonous water snakes... Doubt there is anything down there worth losing a limb over.

did you reground balance? i know that grass to sand needs to re gb so id think the same for the water..my lake was used for dumping some chemicals after the war which could effect things but my at pro semed fine even when i didnt GB from re gb on the sand.

id say try a test at home with a bowl filled with water and put a ring pull or bottle top in there and see if it goes blank there too

It might be a small split or hole in the cable that gets effected on the water

Back
Top Bottom