A good site (so I thought) and skunked again......

Bajanick

Elite Member
I got permission to hunt the parkway in front of a house built in 1908 and the house next door was built a bit latter. I got nothing except a sprinkler head, nail, and some other junk, not even one modern coin.... :(

I was just about finished when I see an old lady walking towards me from across the street, she asks me if I am from the city and I reply no, she says gas company and I say no, just looking for old coins, I was sure she was going to ask me to leave or something, instead she tells me how the local kids play in the gravel in the parkway and throw them around, I told her I would leave, she says she doesnt care about me being there. We got to talking about what I am doing and she tells me how she remembers a train, in the early 1900s that used to travel between her house and the park nearby and she described were it was and how I could find the old path. So I walked to the park and the old train path was obvious so I detected there for about an hour and only found one modern penny. :(
I plan on going back another time cuz theres more to the tracks than I could detect.
I am pretty disappointed , I thought for sure I would get at least some wheaties.......
I think I may have to resort to more bolder moves, like hunting old historical landmarks in the middle of the night, Just kidding......... :lol:

Don't feel too bad. I went out today and only found an old nail, and a broken hook off of a log chain.

This happens to me a lot. But, next thing you know you'll find a virgin site and dig some sweet stuff. Keep hunting!

The old folks are the best research tools... Next time maybe ask her where the old swimming hole or fairgrounds were.
Good luck

Jim

I am there with you today Bajanick !!! My day was one penny and a bag full of pull tabs !!!

JimInPhilly said:
The old folks are the best research tools... Next time maybe ask her where the old swimming hole or fairgrounds were.
Good luck

Jim

by FAR the best research !!!

I went out again today and got nothing worth mentioning, I went to 3 different spots and detected all day. I detected this lot that has been empty for as long as I can remember and the houses on each side of it were built in 1909 and 1922, checked with the nighbors and one of them said the owners of the lot dont live anywhere nearby and said they would not care if I detected.
I found a few little things, lots of trash but I only did about 1/2 the lot. I am going back someday with the stock coil on.

I have been debating about dropping to a smaller coil myself, the heavy use areas around the lake are also heavy trash areas, but there has GOT to be something there !!!!

dooby said:
I have been debating about dropping to a smaller coil myself, the heavy use areas around the lake are also heavy trash areas, but there has GOT to be something there !!!!

Actually meant switch back to the stock coil. I have been using the 5.3 eclipse for everything and a few of the recent sites were not that trashy and the 5.3, I seem to only get a good solid signal around 5 inches deep with the 5.3.
Its kinda funny all the old sites I have detected in the last 2 weeks and got nothing, in the previous week I got a silver quarter and several wheaties from the vacant house next door. :?:

There are a lot of us MD'ers around. I have gone to a nearby old homestead and hunted and when leaving another MD'er pulled up and pulled out his machine...I didn't have the heart to tell him I just finished the site. I did find a 1926 wheety and a St. Christopher's medal while there and I'm sure I wasn't the first to hunt it.

Back
Top Bottom