where to start

stikes

recently my wife and i bought a 1900's farmhouse that we fixed up. it has a huge barn on it with 3 other outbuildings. it has 13 acres of fields and 14 acres of woods. i noticed in the woods it has a stone wall surrounding the property. with all these experienced hunters on this forum i know i will get some good feedback of where to start :?: other than starting at the usual big trees, flower beds, etc. what other signs should i look for both in the fields and the woods? im going to start in the dirt floor cellar and move to the barn which part of it has a dirt floor also :yes: please feel free to give this newbie some advise on hunting such a large area.

Ooooooh. I wanna help too.
:wow: Great opportunity. Place sounds awesome.

First: The VFW. Really, who better to find out the history of the property, ie: whomever lived there, folklore, battles or whatnots.
Then:
I know this goes along with big trees and stuff, but look for signs of tree stands, any sign of creekbed through the property (swimming hole, washing spot), Places where people would most likely gather to admire work or a project after a long day. (family gatherings)
Where would the kids (teens) run off to avoid chores.
And Finally: Just Start. Have a ball, enjoy it, (fine print-invite others) :lol:

Angel
Beautiful Pics
hopefully you wont have to go to rehab for withdraws
if you get close to admitting yourself to rehab come on down to south Louisiana and we will find you some place to swing your coil

This is in no way meant to discourage you, but one thing you'll find out (if you don't already know), farms are notorious for having lots of iron junk lost and laying around. I'm sure there is also lots of "good stuff" to be found, but having once lived in a 100 year old farmhouse myself (for 16 years), I can attest first-hand that detecting will have that added challenge. The good thing though, is that you own the place and you live there, so you'll have a lot more time and opportunities to hunt (a spare 15 minutes here, a spare 20 minutes there)--it'll be great. You know, you might even want to start your own scrap iron pile as you find it--after all, if you live close to a metal recycler, it'll be worth saving the old farm scrap iron and turning it in once in a while. Best of luck!

Harley-Dog

check for older looking trees on the outskirts of the fields ! shade while eating lunch while working in the fields ! ;)

Stikes, welcome to the forum !!! Sometimes the best thing to do is to just sit and look at the site, think about were sit on a hot day, play as a child, were would have been the path between buildings......................and then go have fun !!!

thanks to everyone for the tips. cant wait till the snow melts to start reaping the benefits of my finds and my iron pile ;) by the way the stone wall is just a mound of rocks about 4feet high going along the edges of the woods and fields. dont know what they are for.

Look for old Lilac bushes. They were usualy planted near the privy. Definately any obvious walkways or level areas near the house. Look for indication of the old clothes lineas well. And if you ever want the company of another newbie let me know,I'm not to far away from your area.

Back
Top Bottom