"Cash and Treasure" show.

Premsat

Does anybody else out there watch the Travel Channel series, "Best Places To Find Cash and Treasure"? For those who dont, its a show about places anybody can go to to find treasure, usually gem stones. Next Tuesdays episode is about hunting Civil War relics. Is anybody else bothered about this as much as I am?

I try to watch it myself. So far the show has been on several subjects from fossel hunting to various types of mining for the average person. It seems very informative and makes you think where to spend your next vacation.
HH, Wes.

Normally I love the show, but next weeks show on Civil War hunting angers me. I feel the show will just be about exploiting the finds only for their monetary value. Im also afraid it will cause a lot of average people to swarm over battlefield property and give people who really care about the Civil War and the preservation of artifacts a bad name.
:mad:-ED.

The CW episode has already aired once i believe...if its them going with a large md hunting group then it has. You will like the response of most of the people mding since they wont give a value when they are asked about the relics and they up going to a CW relic store to get prices of anything. If i remember right it looked like most of the people mding were definitely not in it for the $$ but its been a while since ive seen it.

I've seen a few of the gem hunting shows, and one just last week on privy digging for antique bottles, which I found very interesting. Good show, and I love the host!

I really like the Cash and Treasure show. The Civil War episode was on before. As I recall they stressed historic value, not monetary value, and I think they donated some items to a CW musuem.

Tuesdays episode on privy digging was interesting too. I had never heard of a Sanborn map before. I found out that the local library has one in their Genealogy room that you can look at. I'm going to check it out next week.

Sanborn fire insurance maps are an excellent tool for researching old houses and structures. They show and list everything that was there when the map was made, includng outhouses, barns, dump sites, etc. Most large libraries have them. Good luck!

I never heard of the "Sanborn fire insurance maps" before, anyone have a link to find these maps !?!?!

Guess I will check out the Travel Channel website as I have never heard about them !!!

early_americana said:
I caught it once. They were hunting truffles.
I love truffles, but what kind of detector do you use for them... :lol: :lol: :lol:

dooby said:
I never heard of the "Sanborn fire insurance maps" before, anyone have a link to find these maps !?!?!

Guess I will check out the Travel Channel website as I have never heard about them !!!

Did you ever try to GOOGLE the sanborn maps??? ;)

http://www.lib.umd.edu/NTL/Sanbornguide.html

This is what I got from google...At leaset for the Mqaryland area. Just type in your state when you google SANBORN MAP...

I'm still looking, but here's what i've found out so far about Sanborn maps for CT.

Sanborn maps are available at the Yale University library, and some CT State College libraries throughout CT. and are available online to college students for research, but they need a password, and user/student ID from their college.

The Sanborn Map Collection (1.2 Million maps) was purchased by Environmental Data Resources Inc. in 1996.

http://www.edrnet.com/reports/historical.html

The Sanborn maps have been copyrighted.

I have been running into the same problem Lou, most of the maps are microfiche or online for students only. Thanks for the info !!!

Dooby

Next week i'll see what Sanborn maps my local library has. Then i'll look into Enviromental Data Resources Inc. Believe it or not ,they are within walking distance from my house.

I don't want to hijack the Cash and Treasure show post. When I find out anything new i'll make a seperate post on Sanborn maps.

I try to catch it (when I remember). The few shows that I have caught, I liked. I hope they continue with the series.

They air on the Travel Channel every Tuesday at 10pm et. I really have enjoyed every episode especially the one on meteorites. I would love to chase something that fell out of the sky, and has such high value. Any of you detected for meteorites? If so I would love to hear or see what you have found.

Here in Kansas out in the western part of the state is meteorite heaven! He has made soon really big finds worth lots of $

Back
Top Bottom