Come on spring!

angellionel

Elite Member
The snow and frozen ground has kept me from swinging my coil the past few weeks. It gets to the point where I want to set up my machine just to pass a few coins and gold rings under the coil to listen to the musical tones.

Today I decided to scout two sites to see if the ground has thawed out somewhat. Unfortunately, with few exceptions, it hasn't. Not only is the ground frozen, but the snow is still 2 to 3 inches deep in most areas. It looks like it may take another two weeks before having ideal digging conditions.

It was an enjoyable walk through the woods though, despite not being able to detect as freely as I would have liked. I did dig up a few nice sounding targets, though it was tough going. Below are some photos of the sites.

I walked for about a mile on this trail to arrive at the first site. There's an area that has many very large pine trees, and I had hoped that the ground there would be soft enough to cut through. I was disappointed to find that, not only was there deep snow, but thick ice as well. The area is prone to flooding during heavy rains.

LM030307A.jpg

On my way back to the car I stopped by the side of the trail to hit a cleared area. I was able to cut into the ground, but not without effort. I hit on a few nice tones, some of which I had to abandon, since I just couldn't break through the frozen soil. I did manage to retrieve three targets, but they are not what I'm after. :D

LM030307D.jpg

LM030307B.jpg

LM030307G.jpg

LM030307H.jpg

The second site, ?merc city?, was no better. Too much snow and ice. I can't wait for spring!

MC030307A.jpg

MC030307B.jpg

Nice photos Angel. I hear ya about the weather too. Unless we start getting some major warm weather, its gonna be late hunting this year. :mad:

Hey Angel, I bet it was nice just to get out in the woods even though the digging was tough. I'm sure we have a couple feet of frost under the 3 feet of snow we just got. My season may start a little later than usual this season.

SteveMN said:
Hey Angel, I bet it was nice just to get out in the woods even though the digging was tough. I'm sure we have a couple feet of frost under the 3 feet of snow we just got. My season may start a little later than usual this season.

It was enjoyable, yes. :yes:

I was also distracted when I saw deer tracks in the snow, and began to follow them. :lol:

Hoser, I sure hope that's not the case, or I may just move down south! :D

SteveMN said:
Hey Hoser, how much snow did you end up with from the last two storms?
Total from the last two was around 18". So now we have around two feet on the level. Definitely snowshoes if you go in the woods.

Two feet, ouch. I hate to tell you it's going to be sunny and 57 degrees here tomorrow :P BTW, nice pics angel. I'll take some pics of my new spot tomorrow when I go detecting.

user18 said:
Very nice pics Angel! Makes me feel peaceful just looking at them.

Ideal hunting conditions in two weeks sounds a little optimistic for those pictures though! :shock: But you never know. Here in Iowa I think it's going to be late March at the earliest before I can dig. We just got our power back last night from the ice storm a week ago!

I am an optimist. :D You're likely right about the two weeks though. :)

Still, if the temps remain as high as it was today, some of the sites should be good to go. :bouncy:

glad to hear your power is back on Epi .

Angel keep taking pictures and i'll start to recognize those spots i am pretty close(not like all of New England looks like that) :lol: :lol: i know what you mean i've been out as well searching new prospects , it helps with the withdraws. best of luck to ya this year Angel

del said:
glad to hear your power is back on Epi .

Angel keep taking pictures and i'll start to recognize those spots i am pretty close(not like all of New England looks like that) :lol: :lol: i know what you mean i've been out as well searching new prospects , it helps with the withdraws. best of luck to ya this year Angel

That's why I try to take photos that look like the woods of Anywhere, USA. :lol:

Yeah, this is a good time of year to do some exploring. I have a few lined up; I just hope they produce. :D

Thanks, del! I wish you a successful year as well! :)

If there was a little more snow on the ground I would say you could be here in Minnesota.

user18 said:
Actually it looks surpisingly a lot like my backyard.

Wait, let me look out the window... do I see Angel out there chipping ice away with his digger? :?: :lol:

:lol:

Other than the location, the description is quite accurate. :)

My small shovel couldn't take the punishment. It's the second one I've damaged this year while attempting to dig through the frozen soil. I did have my small Gator trowel with me, but I wasn't too eager to repeat the workout of February of last year, when I found the 1936 WLH. :shock:

Angel
Beautiful Pics
hopefully you wont have to go to rehab for withdraws
if you get close to admitting yourself to rehab come on down to south Louisiana and we will find you some place to swing your coil

anode said:
Angel
Beautiful Pics
hopefully you wont have to go to rehab for withdraws
if you get close to admitting yourself to rehab come on down to south Louisiana and we will find you some place to swing your coil

Thanks, anode. :)

Seeing the nice finds posted here helps with the withdrawals, though it also gets the adrenaline going. :D

Back
Top Bottom