Coil weight for water hunting?

Lightning88

Hey fellow surf hunters, how do you all weigh down your coils when detecting under water at the beach? I tried a couple of times last year but found it very taxing fighting the currents to keep the coil on the bottom.

I've read before about people adding some kind of weight to keep the coil on bottom, but don't recall exactly how, but was wondering if there's a way considered best and what not to do, and of course your experience with different ways to accomplish this.

I'd like to be able to quickly add the weight and remove it quickly for out-of-water hunting, without damaging the coil or causing any falsing. Any input?

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps try a wide mouthed plastic bottle (Gatorade) filled with wet sand from your hunting location and zip tied to your coil? HTH.

Edit: You might also use a bungee cord with plastic hooks for quick / easy on and off. Just spitballing here.

Hey, sorry for the late reply. Just saw this now.
The bungee cord with sand-in-something combo sounds like a great idea! Thanks for your input. I'm thinking the sand filled weight would have to be evenly distributed around the entire coil. I'll have to experiment with designs. In any case you got me on the right track. Thanks again!

No worries.

I'm not a surf hunter so I'm just kicking around ideas here.

If the weight needs to be distributed around the coil maybe you can come up with a sort of "sock" or tube and tie it to the coil. Perhaps some small flat sandbags, 3 of equal weight or two in a horseshoe shape? The drag of canvas or other fabric may work against your swing though.

Again, just spitballing. Maybe some other surf hunters will see this and chime in.

Good luck and post up what you come up with. HH

Back
Top Bottom