Gotta have the newest and best....Or do you?

It goes both ways. Yes a great golfer can play a great game with cheap clubs, but, give him great clubs and you'll see the difference in his score card.

No you don't "gotta have" but it can make a difference and that is why people spend those extra bucks.

I am going this summer to Top Sail Island again. I will be taking my old CZ6a because it has a salt setting while my T2 does not. I don't live by a beach anymore so I don't have any beach machines anymore. I know that old CZ6a and I will be able to use it and find targets if they are there.

Someday I will upgrade again but for now my equipment works well for me.

Ray

I still have a CZ-6 and it is one of my favorite detectors.

24kilo,
Sometimes it's not just the "latest and greatest", but a significant change that makes the equipment more functional. It's like the difference between the MXT and the (much maligned) MX Sport. The Sport provided significantly different options in a well balanced, but still heavy detector. The weight (and warrantied issues-Thanks White's) somewhat limited my use to under 1500 hours the first two years, but it did a good job.
The new "latest and greatest", the Minelab Equinox 600/800 offers not just new technological innovations, and wireless modes, but it weighs under 3 pounds!!!! I paid my dealer for it on the day I heard about it and got one of the first batch. (Thanks Gerry) Now I'm learning all over again. The weight difference alone is well worth it.
So...Do you need to have the "latest and greatest" to be your best? NO!, you don't. But when the difference is so advantageous, it's hard to pass up.
Happy Hunting!

Before you become too critical about the newest, latest and greatest metal detector, just reach in your pocket and pull out your smart phone and ask if that thing is necessary.

Well I might be strange, but no I don't have the newest phone and though I can afford the newest, what I have does everything I need or want sometimes too much.
Funny my father in law still uses his Fisher 1220X and cleans up.

It goes both ways. Yes a great golfer can play a great game with cheap clubs, but, give him great clubs and you'll see the difference in his score card.

No you don't "gotta have" but it can make a difference and that is why people spend those extra bucks.
Golfing and detecting are two different things. Golf involves athleticism, detecting does not. Obviously an experienced detectorist probably/definitely isn't going to do well with some toy detector but a decent detector will get him the goodies.

I bought a White's XLT in 1998. I never found much with it initially. Last year I dug it out and fired it up and found an 1851 Seated dime, 1867 2 cent piece, and a CW Union infantry button. Plus five other silvers in about 2 months of hunting on weekends. I thought this is crazy why didn't I find stuff this good when I bought the thing. I bought a Nokta Impact and have in the last month found four silver coins, a sterling silver spoon, and a few other interesting relics. The Impact is a much better detector and I really, really like the detector much better than the old XLT.

I believe though it's where you hunt that makes the biggest difference in what you find. Where is 90% of it, the detector is the other 10% of what you find. If you are a very seasoned detectorist then maybe the latest and greatest will help you eek out something from hammered spots or coins that are really masked in some way, but in a fresh spot about detector will do. Even a 20 year old detector will do if you find the right spot and know it well enough half way use it.

I too ventured into the new (to me) high tech, VDI, does a lot detector. First thing I noticed was that the screen can be inaccurate at depth on any and all of them.

I also realized that people still primarily rely on sound as the indicator to stop drop and dig.

I found that a lot of time is wasted trying to sort out exactly what the various displays of information is actually saying compared to a simple solid beep that can convey a lot of information.

I think the best thing I've come across is Garretts Zlynk wireless head phone system. I use it on all my detectors and it works great on everything I've hooked it up to.

I've always hunted with Tesoros and the Lobo Super Traq with various coils in particular, which has produced my best finds both coin and relic.

So, I'm a committed beep hunter. For me? simple is better, reliable, more productive, quicker, and easier all around.

A GREAT detector is in the ear of the beholder.

Tesoro, an American company's warranty is unbeatable.

Being confident and satisfied with whatever detector you're using is what it's all about of course which saves time, money, and frustration. Is this a great Hobby or what??

A metal detector is in no way like a set of golf clubs or any other leisure kind of gear!...

Its a tool created for a specific purpose...therefore, a guy has to keep up on any advancements to be faster and more productive...

Just In my Lifetime of building things, thinking about tools, lets say the simple hammer....Then along came pneumatics, then along came impulse, and now we are electric drive in some cases....So yeah, a guy still carries a hammer, but buddy, you sure dont want to ever build a house now a days without an air nailer...a guy has an impulse or two for certain situations, a guy has straight electrics for others...You gotta have the right tool for the job, but it starts with understanding the basics and knowing when to use it...

Detectors are tools, but of course,a golfer dont know anything about that! They hire somebody to build their house!:laughing:

I bet you, if four or five of us got together and starting reporting on a make believe new metal detector, we would stop the sales of the Nox until they had a chance to try it.

Funny you should mention that! I *just* got a brand new Findyerbehind Lab's SX-69 with a Reverse Osmosis coil and Instamatic Tuning Technology! In one week, I've found Forrest Fenn's treasure, the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine, 79 hubcaps, thirty six Walking Liberty half dollars, seven Roy rogers rings, ninety three gold rings AND the TV remote!

Not only that but the machine doesn't need batteries! Just feed it a can of spinach before each hunt and it takes off by itself! It returns that evening faithful as a pup, carrying a finds bag bulging with great stuff. AND Findyerbehind Labs only charges $25.00 for the rig!!

Oh. I forgot to mention... Findyerbehind Labs is a whooly owned subsidiary of Granny Gumdad Incorporated.
Void where prohibited by Fred.
Sage(but it won't find pulltabs! Waaaah!)Grouse

I still use and swear by my Fisher CZ-20 and 21's. I think they came out in the early 1990's. I still use the Tesoro Tiger Shark also but have no idea when it came out.

Those two detectors are my go to for water most the time.

I admit I jumped on the Equinox bandwagon but for a good reason. I loved my E-Trac and did very well with it. However it just got to heavy for me to swing. The Equinox was kind of the same platform but lighter. I can swing it longer.

Since I was used to the multi frequency machine already, I decided to stay with that platform and not try a Deus.

iu

This is what you haul cheap detectors in. Man if Mud Puppy breaks one out with a hood scoop i am gonna lose it!:laughing:

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 91
Back
Top Bottom