Weird item, made of Lead.. cover? I have no idea where to start. Found in area with 1700's items.

Dogfisch

I found this strange item on a beach in Massachusetts. In this location I have found lots of musket balls of many calibers, powder flask parts, shoe buckles and coins dated from the 1700's. This mystery item is made of lead and has traces of iron rust on the inside and it is curved in shape so it looks like it was used to cover something that was iron at one time. Possibly a barrel? Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_8283.jpg
    IMG_8283.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_8282.jpg
    IMG_8282.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_8280.jpg
    IMG_8280.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 375
Could be, if you have any examples please post. I submitted this on the war relics page too and someone commented on the rivets. The "rivets" actually don't go through they appear to be a casting. The hole in the center has me puzzled.

all those "rivet" bumps look like they could have functioned and anchoring spots to hold the item I'm place, I beginning to think of looking at it more from the inside out perspective. There are peaces of iron flaking on the outside.

Did the "rivets" hold a steel jacket in place over the lead? Looks like steel remnants along edges and near rivets. The hole is baffling.

It's a saddle for a lead pipe to an iron pipe.
The hole is where the lead pipe would "T" into the saddle.
The bumps are to keep the clamps from sliding off the ends when tightening.

The EPA would never let this happen Now-A-Days !! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom