Pair of war nickels.

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
Ok, I have been shamed by fellow Pa. detectorist who brave the cold and bring home the goods. And then I see a post on end of year wrap-ups. I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet, I pray for milder weather and hope the silver gods haven't left town yet. That said I went to the local park. The last trip I managed a Merc and a nice wheatie. and couple bucks in clad. Not like you megacladders--JAK- BUBBABARON- STIFFWRISTS just to name a few. If I dig 80-90 coins in a day plus the trash I'm using Iceyhot on my legs for night cramps and Advil for my back. S o off I go, text the guy I hunt with on occassion, he says sure I'll see you there. He lasted a couple of hours, did get a slick SLQ and a wheatie. A couple bucks in clad. I started out wi th a pair of earrings in the same hole 23-24 on the Eq.-800. I thought maybe sterling but just bling. I got 4 wheaties, and best find was 2 war nickels 8in. apart from each other. This very close to the spot where I pulled a bunch of nickels a couple of weeks ago. I remember the signal and passed on it because it seemed too broad for a coin. But this time I had the 15in. coil on with my reactivity down to 3 and it was able to tell me I had 2 targets, not one larger target. It also picked another nickel out from under a root that I and my buddy both missed on more than one occassion. I have missed on the pinpoint several times on deep targets with the 15in. but my overall opinion its very capable, course I think with an Equinox it wouldn't matter what coil you have on, it will tell you--HEY I'M DOWN HERE--DIG. The war nickels were no more than 4-5 in. deep. After a 3-4 hours n I wound up with a little more than a buck in clad, 4 wheats and 2 war nickels and some bling. Just happy I got out and hope to a few more times be fore years end. Thanks for looking in. HH Mark

Attachments

• 20181209_180607.jpg
    20181209_180607.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 203
  • 20181209_185545.jpg
    20181209_185545.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 20181209_185629.jpg
    20181209_185629.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 20181130_191204.jpg
    20181130_191204.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 178
Congrats Mark on digging a couple of brother War Nickles and getting out on a late season hunt. Like you I am holding out for a weather warm up to just get another couple of hunts. Trapper

Congrats on the pair or war nickels Mark! It's encouraging to hear that silver (and even gold) still lurks in our parks around here. I found a Barber quarter a couple of weeks ago in a pounded Pittsburgh park and another local guy found a spill that included a $5 gold piece (different park). I'll be heading out here shortly to try my luck at a park with my friend that recently found the 1797 half dime. I hope you can get out a few times more before the year is over!:)

Congrats on the War Nickels!!! Keep pushing through the cold man!!! As soon as the snow melts enough here to swing the coil I will be going hard at it again!!

Hi Mark . . hang in there Pal !!!

At least you finding some Wheaties and 2 War Nickels . . . . .

Your are MDing in a sweet location !!! Good Luck !!

Nice Diggs Mark, congrats! You are doing better than some of us PA diggers. I have been finding mostly relics lately.

Thanks

Great finds!
Thanks Tom

Congrats on the pair of '43-P's! :woot: Great finds. :yes:
WD Thanks, it seems this one area is polluted with nickels. HH Mark

Congrats Mark on digging a couple of brother War Nickles and getting out on a late season hunt. Like you I am holding out for a weather warm up to just get another couple of hunts. Trapper
Thank you sir, I have hope to get out a few more times this year. HH Mark

Congrats on the pair or war nickels Mark! It's encouraging to hear that silver (and even gold) still lurks in our parks around here. I found a Barber quarter a couple of weeks ago in a pounded Pittsburgh park and another local guy found a spill that included a $5 gold piece (different park). I'll be heading out here shortly to try my luck at a park with my friend that recently found the 1797 half dime. I hope you can get out a few times more before the year is over!:)
Fred thank you. I have not been to very many city parks. West Park is about the only one and my Equinox was going crazy there. I did find some clad but nothing old. Major congrats to your buddy on the gold coin. HH Mark

Congrats on the War Nickels!!! Keep pushing through the cold man!!! As soon as the snow melts enough here to swing the coil I will be going hard at it again!!
Thanks, as long as the ground doesn't freeze solid I will continue to hunt. HH Mark

Hi Mark . . hang in there Pal !!!

At least you finding some Wheaties and 2 War Nickels . . . . .

Your are MDing in a sweet location !!! Good Luck !!
Bob thank you. HH Mark

Nice Diggs Mark, congrats! You are doing better than some of us PA diggers. I have been finding mostly relics lately.
.Ron, thank you. You guys out east seem to find way more older stuff than us here in W. Pa. Everything around here has been re-developed it seems. Enjoy and HH Mark

WTG on the late season silver Mark! I'm hoping for a hunt or two before January but not sure it's gonna happen, Congrats on the nice pair of war nickels!

Thank you

t
Congradulations on the war nickels.
I do not have any for the 2018 season .
Love em .
,Dew
Dew, thank you sir, those two were #s 5n6. And just yesterday I was playing around in my backyard with the Equinox 800/ 15in.coil and decided to check an iffy signal in the yard next door that I had walked on last year with the Etrac. I shoulda listened, it was iron. Anyway swinging back towards my yard at the hedgeline I get a solid 13. It was a 45 war nickel. How did I miss that. I've hunted that yard many times. My nickel count has skyrocketed with the 800. HH Mark

Thanks

WTG on the late season silver Mark! I'm hoping for a hunt or two before January but not sure it's gonna happen, Congrats on the nice pair of war nickels!

Ron, Thank you and yes we are at the mercy of mother nature these days. We are having a mild stretch here in W. Pa. right now. I would like to get out today for a little bit.. HH Mark

Great hunt! Rarely do I every read about anyone finding two war nickels in on day. I still remember that last one I found and that was many months ago. Since you went out in the cold, I think I will do the same today. Now back to business, that 15" coil is a killer even when working near metal fences if you move it real slowly. That 15"er is like a vacuum cleaner picking up all the crumbs that were left behind... Congrats!

Thanks

Great hunt! Rarely do I every read about anyone finding two war nickels in on day. I still remember that last one I found and that was many months ago. Since you went out in the cold, I think I will do the same today. Now back to business, that 15" coil is a killer even when working near metal fences if you move it real slowly. That 15"er is like a vacuum cleaner picking up all the crumbs that were left behind... Congrats!

JAK, thank you and I got another one a 45 P this week on the hedgeline between my back yard and my neighbors. #7 Fty. Ironically I was swinging through my neighbors yard on the other side last Dec. and I got a 42 war nickel. I have hunted both yards more times than I can remember. I agree the 15in. coil is deadly. I run my recovery at 3 in Park 2 5 tone the rest default and use a medium slow swing. Yesterday I got Buff # 7 Fty. Until, as of late it seemed Buffaloes were my white whale. On my 800 a war nickel locks in hard at 13 with maybe an occassional jump to 14. Clad jump back and forth 12-13. The Buffs give me an 11-12 and V nickels drop as low as 10. Hope this weather stays mild till the end of the year. Good luck and HH Mark

Thanks

Nice finds. I finally found my first one this year it has eluded me a long long time. Congrats on the double! WTG!

Thank you sir, I was fortunate enough when I first started to dig one under the clothes line in my backyard. It was my second silver, earlier that day my very first silver was a 57 Gw. Since hunting with the Equinox my nickel count is way up. HH Mark

Thanks

Nice finds. I finally found my first one this year it has eluded me a long long time. Congrats on the double! WTG!

Thank you sir, I was fortunate enough when I first started to dig one under the clothes line in my backyard. It was my second silver, earlier that day my very first silver was a 57 Gw. Since hunting with the Equinox my nickel count is way up. HH Mark

Thanks

Congrats on the pair of War nickels, wheats and the rest...nice digs!

Immaculate Thanks Capt. I feel a sense of frenzy as we come to end of the year, everybody trying to get out once or twice more and maybe add a little more to the tally before the balloon drops. Happy Holidays to you and yours. HH Mark

Back
Top Bottom