How About some North Carolina Civil War Lead

Waterhead

Folks,

Here are a couple of "So Called" Confederate Shotgun slugs now identified as the Nessler slug. They are .69 caliber and were probably used early in the war in the big smooth bore rifles.

My picture includes the "Bull" slug which is the largest, a standard slug and a double end slug.

I couldn't help by tossing in my favorite bullet.

Will the "New Austrian Bullet" please stand up. Hey, they're all NC manufactured bullets so they belonged photographed together.

Enjoy!

John

Attachments

• DSC_0073.jpg
    DSC_0073.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 821
Nice collection - having grown up in NC and detected there for many years - I can appreciate those bad boys. The only one missing is the Wilkinson and Austrian (standard)...(other two bullets commonly found in NC camps).

Awesome stuff

Dan

Here Ya Go Home Guard Dan

Here's a CS Wilkinson that was dug in New Bern, NC. and CS Austrian that was dug in Williamsburg, Va.

Attachments

• DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 671
love it! The austrians I dug all were around Wilmington, the wilkinsons around new bern and those other sites I mentioned to you in a PM

Waterhead, cool photos and great finds. I read there were tons of different types of bullets used in the Civil war.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=178897
Towards the end of this thread I made are links on Civil war Bullets etc. Sgt. Rikers site is awesome. Some of the old bullets were actually chess pieces carved into bullets. I didn't know Civil war bullets were so pricey.
Specially the ones that were shot into wood.

Back
Top Bottom