What's the Best Beginner Detector for Kids?

Texaspast

Elite Member
OK, I'm looking to buy the grandkids a metal detector for Christmas. Nothing fancy at all, not especially deep, but a good discriminator. The kids are 8 and 10, so it needs to be light. I don't know if either of them will take to it, so I don't want to spend a lot on something that may just get stuck in a closet after one or two times out. They live several hours away, so I won't be there much to take them out or show them the ropes, thus it needs to be pretty simple to use. I'd love to find them something that is quiet - no chatter except for a decent target. Kind of like my old Compass XP-Pro - almost silent except for good stuff, but it is really too heavy for them, and I just don't want to give it up. Sentimental reasons - it was the first good detector I bought, back in the mid '80s. I've never used a Garrett, but I've always kind of liked the Garrett 'bell' sound and thought it might be good for kids. I haven't looked at the White's low-end detectors, so I don't know what they have and haven't looked at Bounty Hunter, either.

So - what would you guys recommend?

Whites treasure master.Has ground tracking ground balance so it'll adjust itself,,manual or even auto ground balance might confuse the kids..I was looking at one for myself,lol,,really sharp machine for entry level.

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, or maybe the Garret Ace series, the BH is a simple beep and dig machine, cheap can get a brand new one for well under $100

Check out the Teknetics Digitek $129 shipped. Great features for the money

Depending on your budget

OK, I'm looking to buy the grandkids a metal detector for Christmas. Nothing fancy at all, not especially deep, but a good discriminator. The kids are 8 and 10, so it needs to be light. I don't know if either of them will take to it, so I don't want to spend a lot on something that may just get stuck in a closet after one or two times out. They live several hours away, so I won't be there much to take them out or show them the ropes, thus it needs to be pretty simple to use. I'd love to find them something that is quiet - no chatter except for a decent target. Kind of like my old Compass XP-Pro - almost silent except for good stuff, but it is really too heavy for them, and I just don't want to give it up. Sentimental reasons - it was the first good detector I bought, back in the mid '80s. I've never used a Garrett, but I've always kind of liked the Garrett 'bell' sound and thought it might be good for kids. I haven't looked at the White's low-end detectors, so I don't know what they have and haven't looked at Bounty Hunter, either.

So - what would you guys recommend?
I just picked up a Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 at Costco if you have one close by. They have them in just for Christmas ,they had them for $99.99 which is a super deal , when I was in there yesterday they had them on sale $15.00 off so only $85.99 . I picked up one as a back up to my Fisher F4 it has many of the same features that I paid a lot more on it for. I believe the shaft is adjustable which would be good for children. The weight should be only around 4 lbs. .. I sent a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV to my nephiew's son in the Philippines he loves it, and this is a much better unit than that.

I gave my grandchildren bh quicksilvers last xmas. They really loved them and didn't care about the id display or tone. I regretted not giving them tesoro compadres after seeing that. Used compadres can be found cheap and are far better quality.

Are you getting one detector for both kids to share or do they each get their own? How deep are Santa's pockets? A detector and a pinpointer might be easier for kids to share. I don't think any of the lower mid-range machines would be to complicated for most 10 year olds.

I gave my grandchildren bh quicksilvers last xmas. They really loved them and didn't care about the id display or tone. I regretted not giving them tesoro compadres after seeing that. Used compadres can be found cheap and are far better quality.

Totally agree! The Compadre is very reasonably priced,silent search,VERY easy to use,light,very well built and EFFECTIVE! Very fast and accurate circuitry,excellent discrimination. Very possibly the best bang for the buck anywhere in the detector world. Don’t worry about the company possibly being defunct at this point,the machine will never break,seriously. Really,has anyone EVER had a Compadre break with normal or even rough use?
They will LOVE it! A pinpointer will be a very good idea so the kids don’t tear the living snot out of a hole looking for something. A decent one is some coin,you know that. If I did nothing but hunt tot lots and scan athletic fields for stuff down to 4-6” I’d use my Compadre with the 8” coil hands DOWN. But that’s not what I do...

Thanks, folks. Yes, it was to be one detector for two kids - maybe a pinpointer for one, a detector for the other. I really hate to drop some serious bucks on a detector they may or may not ever use. I have one of those Harbor Freight pinpointers that works OK (not a Garrett carrot, but better than nothing) that I'll let them have. I probably will go with one of the Bounty Hunters, as I'd like to stay at or below $100 - $125. I sure would like to get one or both of them interested in the hobby - Keep ol' grandpa company on the hunt!

By the way - I looked at the Compadre, since a couple of you recommended it - heck, I might want to get one of those for myself!

Last edited:
Totally agree! The Compadre is very reasonably priced,silent search,VERY easy to use,light,very well built and EFFECTIVE! Very fast and accurate circuitry,excellent discrimination. Very possibly the best bang for the buck anywhere in the detector world. Don’t worry about the company possibly being defunct at this point,the machine will never break,seriously. Really,has anyone EVER had a Compadre break with normal or even rough use?
They will LOVE it! A pinpointer will be a very good idea so the kids don’t tear the living snot out of a hole looking for something. A decent one is some coin,you know that. If I did nothing but hunt tot lots and scan athletic fields for stuff down to 4-6” I’d use my Compadre with the 8” coil hands DOWN. But that’s not what I do...

compadre and the mojave best value in the hobby! mojave is a little more money but worth it! you get a ground toggle and a great 7" coil. the kids will love them! and they last forever.very tough build quality! i keep a mojave in my car for totters,and curb strips.tons of fun!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom