Anyone use a utility vest instead of pouches?

tinsmith

Elite Member
Well the title says it I suppose. I'm thinking of getting a vest or the like and installing/sewing my lesche sheath on the side. Wondering if I can even eliminate the pouch because I'm sick of loosening slipping belts and things hanging off me. Worried about trash though? A vest would need at least one of the pockets huge for trash I guess. What do you all think?

Maybe you can get one for bird or duck hunting. I think most of them have a large pocket in the back for carrying birds. They should hold a lot of trash. I've never tried one for that so I'm just guessing.

If you get something let us know what you got. I've been considering this as well.

Ok, I found a Utility/ tactical/ whatever. Vest on Amazon. This vest has pockets you can adjust and move around so you can customize the layout. I went with it because its light and shouldn't get hot but,,,big for me is the straps/belt at the bottom is customizable as well. That's where I'm going to attach the diggers n such. Plenty pockets for tools and small gear, batts and the usual.
I went to nice wide suspenders last year on the jeans to eliminate a belt. I have that gut but no butt type body says the Mrs. Belts I struggle with. Especially while tecting. Take a few steps,.stop, pull up pants. Pull up web belt for pouch. Now I will not even have the Garrett camo pouch( I like and works well) around the waiste on a belt. I'll attach/sew the pouch for garbage near the bottom of the vest. There is a lot of vests out there. I know this one is kind of "Ramboish" . Or big hero look! But when I'm done setting it up it will say -"Treasure hunter" "Detector guy" at best. Its how its made that attracts me... one size fits all. Adjustable size! And of coarse there is the option for my pearl handle self defense tool. Just in case of a Sasquatch attack? Let's see if the pic downloaded ok. Cost 32.00 Amazon.

Attachments

• 51H1oR2CxGL._SY180_.jpg
    51H1oR2CxGL._SY180_.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,064
I use military style suspenders with a pistol belt and mag pouches. Works great, takes all the weight off my waist and quick and easy to gear up or take it all off for a lunch break. Also the pouches snap onto my belt when heading out for a quick park hunt. Check out this thread. http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=225984

Thanks chedr, yep that's a similar thread to checK out. This week is the time to order the gear we've been dreaming up, get ready for better weather and hash this stuff out on the forum here.
Yeah military suspenders, vests, belts n such are great gear for re-purposing in the detecting hobby. A couple pieces now is cool, practical. I saw a guy out there that knew nothing on how to moderate this military gear into the hobby! I mean you had to see it. Full up special ops head to toe. Boots, special snake chaps, huge belt, holster, full vest, chains, cords, padded snap to sleeve gloves, hat w neck gaurds and straps and I'm sure I'm missing a few items. Ok so maybe I'm a bit mean but my bud n I had to fweiken giggle out loud at the Barney Fife of the detecting world.

I bought just an inexpensive fly fishing vest with many pockets from eBay.

Haven't used it yet.

All dressed up and no place to go (still froze out)

Hey try it what counts is that it comfortable and does the job , I hunt the woods and use to carrying a bucket . Working grass I carry as little as possible so a vest could work .
HH

Hey try it what counts is that it comfortable and does the job , I hunt the woods and use to carrying a bucket . Working grass I carry as little as possible so a vest could work .
HH

All plumbers I know carry buckets.

This, from an electrician.

Ok I received the vest and its just not going to do what I thought. I thought I read something about being able to remove and customize the pockets. Yes but only one of the pockets comes off. But overall you look like Robo Cop with a detector! I tried it on, put the pinpointer and lesche in the vest and its just horrible!! All those pockets are designed for bullet clips. I thought I could modify it a bit, making it a custom treasure hunter vest. Its just far too Special Ops Cop looking. People in the parks will be running and ducking seeing a guy dressed like this coming across the grass. And worst of all its not comfortable at all while bending. Well fellow "Sand Pirates" we're sending this one back.

I put the vest on to freak out my older sister. And she likes it and thinks it looks very nice? Now she's a very smart mature woman in her 60's and says it looks good. She said put your lesche and pinpointer in it and pick up the detector and see,,,,,a nice vest. Hmmmm, I have to adjust it a bit, Hmmmm. Ok its now comfy enough to bend. I judged it too soon. O my- the mini sampson spade head fits nicely in the dang gun holster that came with it and you can attach it about anywhere. I've never revealed myself in a pic but maybe I'll take a pic when its all set up just before a hunt. I'm gonna keep it and give this a try.

My current choice

is a carpenter's rig similar to the one shown here. Mine has the ability to remove/move the pockets and attachments. Mine does not have the hammer ring and is made by AWP. I purchased it at HD and recall that it was around $40 or so. My Lesche, my Propointer, and finds bag all fit nicely on the belt. I can adjust it to fit over a jacket or just a t shirt depending on the weather.

When I head to the old mining sites in the woods I can attach another finds bag and a S&W Shield. The shoulder straps take much of the weight off and I've got a large D-ring added to the back to hang my Sampson while trekking on the trails. Works great and has been a good fit for me.

I hear you on the step, step, dig, hitch up the pants routine! That gets old in a hurry!

Attachments

• a690747d-3c50-43e3-995d-803bd836535b_400.jpg
    a690747d-3c50-43e3-995d-803bd836535b_400.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 929
recent discovery

Lots of great ideas here.

I just discovered these serendipitously (I ducked into a dollar store to buy an extra pair of gloves) and they work soo well I'm going to grab some more.

I paid way less than this listing, so check the kitchen section of a Dollar Tree (a pack of 2 for $1) and found they were easy for me to deal with than towels or drop-cloths; they're flexible, so you can sort of fold them to pour dirt back into holes — easy to lift up to check underneath, transparent, washable, easy to store, lightweight... I could go on! :)

I am with..............

Big Bear . I purchased these at Lowe's. I got the suspenders and the belt only as each piece can be purchased separately. I then added my finds pouch, and my holsters for my pinpointer and digging tool. It is NICE! Padded real well and stays on the shoulders, not heavy and is comfortable without being hot.
11w52mt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom