Lesche Sampson Serrated or Smooth Blade?

Fish N Chips

I just ordered a Sampson for making nice plugs for deeper targets in some manicured grass spots I hunt, and for harder soil conditions this summer. I ordered the smooth bladed 31" shovel as I figured the smooth head would maintain cleaner cuts in the sod. I notice my Lesche hand digger tears at the grass thatch a lot of times and makes a messier plug than my smoother bladed Predator Raptor. Of course the Sampson will be used in a more straight down cut than a sawing action like the Lesche hand tool.

What arrived was a 31" Sampson with serrations on the right side of the blade. My question is do I go through the hassle of sending it back for an exchange, or is there much of a difference or advantage between the two styles? I really want to maintain the cleanest plugs I can for these spots. I see a lot of reviews about the serrated shovel, but very little about the smooth version. I appreciate any advise and reviews between the styles.

As a note the area I am hunting is all grass with a few rocks and cobbles mixed into the soil. Mainly loam and some clay with very few tree roots.

Thanks!

Interested in the replys your going to get. I use a 18 inch lesche with serrated and think it's great , IMO don't think it's a problem.
HH

I would not worry about it, as mine cuts perfectly clean plugs in grass and when you will need it to now and then cut roots near bushes and trees the tool meets the mark.

For me, serrated all the way. Have used both and hate the smooth blade. :(

G2M

Thanks guys, I am definitely swayed to staying with this digger. Do the serrations really help with roots? I do have a few old homesteads I hunt with some fruit trees and bushes around them this may be useful at. I normally use a entrenching tool at those sites to hack my way through the surface weeds and roots.

Greek2Me, What was it you did not like about the smooth blade?

Thanks guys, I am definitely swayed to staying with this digger. Do the serrations really help with roots? I do have a few old homesteads I hunt with some fruit trees and bushes around them this may be useful at. I normally use a entrenching tool at those sites to hack my way through the surface weeds and roots.

I have the 18 inch with serrations on both sides. Works wonders in roots, very clean plugs.

I have the exact shovel as you the 31 inch serated on one side, clean plugs all day, you will love it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
658f8000827f4a46e982d6600f39bc35.jpg

Picked my 18" double serrated today. Solid. I have a hard time believing it can break but I googled it and one dude had his break. Rusty or something. That has to be rare though?!

With the smooth edge digger, trying to cut through roots or grass that has those little vines running all over is like trying to use a butter knife to cut. The blade just slides all over the root and never really cuts it so you are wresting with them in the hole all the time.

G2M

As far as making clean plugs in a park I'll take my Predator Raptor 31 over a serrated one. Being on a woods hunt I'll use a serrated digger or small shovel for use to cut those roots and vines. I sharpened the side edge of the Raptor and can use it as a hatchet as well works great.

I have both the 18 and the 31 serrated and I love them. I've never had an issue with messy cuts and my 31 is BEAT UP! Still cuts like butter

I use the right serrated 31 lesche Sampson thandle and it does a great job. The soil can get sticky sometimes but from what I hear you can spray the blade with anti-stick cooking spray. It is AWESOME for roots and as for breaking ? Not gunna happen lol my has bent from prying frozen ground though. Good luck!

Thanks guys, the company contacted me realizing the mistake. They had already sent out the smooth blade Sampson and a return label. I just got it today and it is nice. Luckily I had not tested out the serrated shovel yet, lol. I took the smooth shovel out in my yard and it cuts like butter and made a very clean plug. I will see how it does in my wooded sites. If roots become an issue I may have to break down and get two! Where I live rocks are more of an issue than roots though.

I also use a Raptor in parks a lot. I just broke down and got a copper T fitting for the handle end and wrapped it with tennis racket tape. No more bruised palm for me! It works fantastic and makes cutting plugs a lot easier. Nothing like having the right tools for the job.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom