Minelab Safari: Noise Cancel question

Ark

Elite Member
If I started hunting on grass and then moved on to playground sand, should I perform a Noise Cancel for best performance?

I usually do a noise cancel once when I first get to a site, then I only do another if i start to have instability. Noise cancel does not improve performance if the detector is stable and not giving false signals.

Seems you are not quite clear on ground balance vs noise cancel. The detector has automatic ground balance so it takes care of the ground, where as noise cancel deals with any interference you encounter. So the answer is like stated above if the detector is stable you are ok, but the more you move, the more things can change so it would never hurt to hit it. Plus if your in a city things would always be changing around you so maybe not a bad idea to make it a habit. Where I hunt there's not a whole lot going on usually.

So the answer is like stated above if the detector is stable you are ok, but the more you move, the more things can change so it would never hurt to hit it. Plus if your in a city things would always be changing around you so maybe not a bad idea to make it a habit. Where I hunt there's not a whole lot going on usually.

thx for the clarification. I had an event this morning where I actually needed to use the Noise Cancel button. I was making my way up a soccer field and my Safari started to randomly chirp up and down the scale. No matter where I moved the coil, the result was the same. The MD was stable after the Noise Cancel.

The park features 8 soccer fields and has lights all over the place. I'm guessing that I must have been on top of power distribution lines.

According to Andy's book, if you have changed settings, moved to a different location OR see that the ground has changed, you should perform a noise cancellation. Seeing as you are going from dirt to sand, for optimal performance you probably should do a noise cancellation. I generally do a noise cancel at least once every half hour just to be sure that the Safari is performing at its best. It only takes 20 seconds, so why not... The Safari does have automatic ground balancing, but supposedly it is the noise cancellation feature which initially checks both ground mineralization and EMI before selecting the optimal set of frequencies to be used by the Safari. One last thing about noise cancelling, there should be no metal next to or under the coil while doing so. This information is also from Andy's book.

Thank you.

It doesn't pertain to your machine. Andy Sabisch has written a couple of books for FBS detectors, but Randy's book is the only one for V-Flex units.

Thanks. I'm studying Randy's book. It's a good read. I'm still hungry for more info, anything to feed my appetite during those times when I can't get out to detect.

Silence the droid in your detector.

had my first experience with noise cancellation today. I'd never seen interference on a channel to know when I would need noise cancellation until today.

Under the power lines near our street, the detector started beeping and bleeping like R2D2. I figured that it could be the power lines and tried all of the NC channels. I did find one that was mostly quiet. Worked like a charm.

Now I know what to listen for.

Hope This Helps

I was out all weekend with my new Safari... love it!

Read some post from "Longhair", GREAT advise, did what he mentioned about threshold and sensitivity... reduceing them, and had a SUPER weekend.

Was very happy with the results, still learning this new machine, but basically, don't be shy in making manual adjustments.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom