**Update**I'm getting great depth with my DFX!! More silver!

tjn63

I went to a park that's not very big at all and has been hunted tons and tons over the years. I've finally gotten my DFX to pick up signals deep enough for this old park to start producing!! Here is a picture of my finds for the day!
I also found four wheaties which arent' in the picture. Three 1919's and a 1920.

I made it out again today for a little bit. There was some big get together going on right where I was yesterday so I didn't get to hunt that area very long. Anyway you can see the outcome in the pictures.

Attachments

• Image (38).jpg
    Image (38).jpg
    22 KB · Views: 254
  • Image (39).jpg
    Image (39).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 170
Congrats! What adjustments did you make to go deep?

I'm accepting from +15 to +95. As you see I'm not discriminating hot rocks out because some of these deep dimes will come up that high (and I mean these are 8 to 9 1/2 inch deep dimes). If you're getting alot of hot rock signals (+95) you can go in and discriminate it out. I usually try not to though.

I have my sensitivity cranked way up to 81 (give it a try, if your DFX can't handle that high in your dirt turn it down just a bit until it runs pretty stable. If it can handle it...turn it up...you never know) There are only a couple of parks around where I've been able to run it at 81. I haven't been able to get it any higher than that.

My gain is set for 3 or 4 I don't remember which(it's down 1 from being all the way up)

I have my recovery speed set from 15 to 35 depending on how much garbage is in the park (this is very important, if there is alot of trash you should probably run it higher around 35 or even higher otherwise you'll be missing alot of coins that are within a foot or so of any other metal). If the area you're hunting is near clean with hardly any signals (including trash) you may want to turn your recovery speed down to 15 or lower because you get a better reading that way.

I have my sweep speed set for 5 (which is very important also for the same reason as the recovery speed. Keep in mind that if you lower your sweep speed you have to sweep a bit slower otherwise you'll just be hurting yourself by changing the sweep speed)

Also for some of these deep coins you almost have to have Tone ID turned on. (if not it can be really hard to sort through the trash.)

These are the main adjustments I make. Just run the regular coin/jewelry program and make these changes to it.

As I said make sure your sweeping pretty slow and covering the area well. The good signals (if they're deep) will sound almost trashy. They'll be really high and will jump around a little bit. Even some of these 10 inch deep nickels I've been finding have been reading way up around +80 to +85 (dime to quarter) The pennies and dimes will jump anywhere from +75 to +94 or +95 and as I said they may sound trashy.
I haven't tried this program outside of the states of Utah/Idaho yet so I don't know how well it'll work in different mineralized grounds but it works very well here for me. I'm hopefully gonna make a video one of these days of one of my hunts then you can see what my signals are sounding like.

Also that barber quarter was 3 inches from a 3 inch diameter chunk of Iron so this program really helps pick the good coins out of the trash.
It was only down 8 inches so the iron is probably the reason why it hadn't already been found years ago.

Back
Top Bottom