Need Your Two Cents on this 2-cent piece

pballwiz

I found this in the yard of a family member two years ago. His property has had a home on it for well over 150 years. I really never did much to it. Still has some dirt embedded on it since I'm afraid to clean it. Is this coin worth getting graded? What would be your best guess to its value?
I have found 2 other 2-cent pieces but one had a hole drilled through the center of it and the other was no where as nice as this beauty.
Thanks for looking !

Attachments

• 2cent2.jpg
    2cent2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 957
  • 2cent1.jpg
    2cent1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 904
I found this in the yard of a family member two years ago. His property has had a home on it for well over 150 years. I really never did much to it. Still has some dirt embedded on it since I'm afraid to clean it. Is this coin worth getting graded? What would be your best guess to its value?
I have found 2 other 2-cent pieces but one had a hole drilled through the center of it and the other was no where as nice as this beauty.
Thanks for looking !

IMO not worth the money to get graded.
While very nice it is not a desired date or type, even in the lower uncirculated condition it would not come close to $100...and this one isn't that good.
Plus, it has that dreaded "Environmental Damage".
In EF grade maybe about $50 if that, shipping and grading costs would eat that up if you sent it in to a professional grading service.

Just take it to a good coin dealer, get his opinion, buy a nice holder and enjoy it as is.

I Agree with DIGGER....The key to all 2 cent pieces is the word WE on the reverse...This one is exceptional in that the WE is still readable...usually its worn off....At best I agree with DIGGER..$50.00 Tops

Nice coin but I agree, nice holder and show it off but don't waste your money on grading!!!

Its value is around 15-30 dollars

I have found a 2 cent piece in a relative's yard two! Mine is an 1865, and it is in the same condition. Since I am a coin collector. Judging from the photos, it is probably f+ (meaning a little better than fine)

In my opinion, it is almost never worth the money to get a coin graded. Companies like PCGS, and NGC also say if a coin is real, or counterfeit, but it is almost pointless to grade a find because who buries fake coins? Grading companies also usually over-grade coins.

In my opinion this is a higher grade coin with environmental damage, and worth around $100 - $130.

The thing it has going for it is it's High VF details.

Here is a coin that also had environmental damage, was cleaned, and has slightly worse details than yours, being in the low VF range. This ad makes no mention of the ED, or the cleaning, and was sold the price it was, on bids mind you, purely on it's details.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Highe...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It would most likely come back ungraded or just ED. It also looks quite dark due to an olive oil soak, nuts. Like the previous poster mentioned, it could probably easily sell on eBay.

It would most likely come back ungraded or just ED. It also looks quite dark due to an olive oil soak, nuts. Like the previous poster mentioned, it could probably easily sell on eBay.

NO WAY would I spend the money to grade this coin. BUT... as we both apparently agree, this is a superb place holder! DEFINITELY worth $100 + on the eBay market. The integrity of the lines in the shield alone give it a VF+. For the experienced coiner, some vinegar, salt, a black sharpie and your thumb could easily bring this coin to an AU worth around $220.

Last edited:
My 2 cents?? are so corroded I can hardly make out what they are and and that's all too common because of the corrosive nature of the metal these coins are made of. You have a really nice one, enjoy it. They are hard to find.

Back
Top Bottom