• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

deep coins

stonecutter

I have a questions that I need some help with, I use a spectrum XLT and I think I am pretty good with at my club meeting last year I took best coin of the mo. about 6 times. lately at my favorite old park I have seen signs of other cut plugs so I know others have md ing so yesterday when I show up I see a guy md ing so I went over to talk to him he has a minelab , now I have been hunting this park for over 20 yrs and I thought this place was thin on old coins until about 2 yrs ago I put custom program in my XLT and now about every trip there I find a old coin , not just a wheatie but nice silver dimes or qtrs ( mercs and rosie, slq and a Washington plus a few buffs even a shield nickle that supprised the hell out of me ) so 2 hrs later I went over to see what Brian had found he had 3 mercs and a rosie plus about 8 wheaties it seems that these coins are 7- 8 even 10 inches deep. the coins I am digging meter 7 inches max most around 6 inches some of the good ones less than 1 inch, I found a silver Jefferson at a half inch that day. so my question is how can I get my XLT to pull coins at that depth or do I need to upgrade to a new machine, any help and I will be grateful. It seems that Brian and his friends have taken a lot of silver from my local parks these guys are good with there machines. sorry if I am long winded. good times.

Last edited:
you could try a bigger coil but it'll be harder to seperate the trash

I find that most coins I dig are a couple of inches deeper than the XLT says they are, but mostly around 4-6 inches when the machine says 2 or 3. I have pulled them from 8 or a little more depending on the gound. I have been using a mixed mode program and most of the places I end up hunting have a fair amount of trash and shallow targets so I don't get real deep often.

Get yourself an Etrac, it will match anything out there! If cost is a factor like it was for me, there is always the Explorer SE Pro or the Safari. They all use the same FBS technology. One last note, when buying a high end detector, go thru the exact same procedure as if you were going to buy a new car.

Back
Top Bottom