Send Me Your Rust!

DiggingSteven

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker here. I’ve posted a few times but I had a kid recently and that put a serious dent in my swinging time. My part of Canada has frozen over now and I sadly only plucked 4 pieces of gold this year - and only one, a 14k ring -is anything to write home about.

But that’s not what this post is about.

I recently started a youtube channel where I restore old tools. For some reason, my first video, restoring a 250 year old hammer is blowing up (4k views an hour!). I foolishly kept very few of my rusty iron finds so I only have a couple pieces left and it seems like that's what the people want. That’s what I’m hoping you all can help me with.

Does anyone have any rusty, crusty old pieces that they would want to donate to my channel? Hammer heads, axe/hatchet heads, knives, wrenches anything that is rusty, crusty old and more or less complete? Even old toys if they’re mostly there.

In return, I would obviously pay for shipping (etransfer if you’re in Canada, paypal or an Amazon gift card if you’re elsewhere) to Canada. I would also give you a shout-out on the video and link to any of your social medias (if you want). If you have something that you think I might really like but you want to sell it, let me know too and I’ll consider it. This is a hobby channel and I don’t expect to make any money off it so it would have to be pretty cheap. I’d also consider trades for junk silver if your crusty piece is nice 😊.

Reply here or send me an email with pics and what you’d like in return to X*X*X*X.X*[email protected] – replace the X* with Stevens.Fix (include the period).

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker here. I’ve posted a few times but I had a kid recently and that put a serious dent in my swinging time. My part of Canada has frozen over now and I sadly only plucked 4 pieces of gold this year - and only one, a 14k ring -is anything to write home about.

But that’s not what this post is about.

I recently started a youtube channel where I restore old tools. For some reason, my first video, restoring a 250 year old hammer is blowing up (4k views an hour!). I foolishly kept very few of my rusty iron finds so I only have a couple pieces left and it seems like that's what the people want. That’s what I’m hoping you all can help me with.

Does anyone have any rusty, crusty old pieces that they would want to donate to my channel? Hammer heads, axe/hatchet heads, knives, wrenches anything that is rusty, crusty old and more or less complete? Even old toys if they’re mostly there.

In return, I would obviously pay for shipping (etransfer if you’re in Canada, paypal or an Amazon gift card if you’re elsewhere) to Canada. I would also give you a shout-out on the video and link to any of your social medias (if you want). If you have something that you think I might really like but you want to sell it, let me know too and I’ll consider it. This is a hobby channel and I don’t expect to make any money off it so it would have to be pretty cheap. I’d also consider trades for junk silver if your crusty piece is nice 😊.

Reply here or send me an email with pics and what you’d like in return to X*X*X*X.X*[email protected] – replace the X* with Stevens.Fix (include the period).

I have a few old knives I could send

Cool video, Steve! Really nice job on the hammer! I've actually watched several old tool restoration videos recently - there's something fascinating about watching someone put in the time and care to bring those old beauties back to life, plus I usually learn something new watching them!

I'll email with pics of a pair of old axe heads and some other items that I'll be happy to send along to you if you're interested.

Cool video, Steve! Really nice job on the hammer! I've actually watched several old tool restoration videos recently - there's something fascinating about watching someone put in the time and care to bring those old beauties back to life, plus I usually learn something new watching them!

I'll email with pics of a pair of old axe heads and some other items that I'll be happy to send along to you if you're interested.

Awesome AirmetTango! Thanks! A PM is on it's way :)

Thanks! Some of my viewers think I destroyed it. If they only knew that most detectorists turn up their discrimination to avoid all the iron like this in the ground they wouldn't think is so precious and historic. It's an old hammer. From a field. I found 3 of them that day :laughing: Its not the doormat of the lost Roanoke colony.

Awesome video. I really enjoy watching those old relics being made to look new. I will certainly contact you if I come across anything that could be restored.

Very good video's, I especially liked the lighter as I live about 50 miles from the home of the zippo lighter (Bradford, PA).

Can you do anything with rusty old wives ? I am thinking of trying electrolosis on her to see if i can knock some rust off :laughing:

Can you do anything with rusty old wives ? I am thinking of trying electrolosis on her to see if i can knock some rust off :laughing:

One of my viewers asked just the same thing! He suggested brass wire brush.

TBH even though my wife gives me a hell of a hard time, I'd be a lost slob without her :cool3:

One of my viewers asked just the same thing! He suggested brass wire brush.

TBH even though my wife gives me a hell of a hard time, I'd be a lost slob without her :cool3:

Ya i know what ya mean . She was sitting next to me when I wrote that. She has learned to have a good sense of humor after 17 years. Love what your doing .

Hey again,

I wanted to take a second to make a shoutout for AirmetTango. He has graciously donated two really cool and crusty Axe heads for my channel. I'll be giving him a shoutout in a future video when I restore one of them.

For anyone else who is in the process of taking pictures of items for me, thanks so much. I really appreciate all of your awesome help.

Cheers!

Hammer looks awesome. Nice work! Great Video.

I'm not gonna lie, I did cringe when the flapper wheel came into view, but it came out nice and I agree that most of this iron is just rotting in the ground getting passed on. The mechanic side of me says, restore and use the tool. The antiquarian side of me would have just gone as far as a wire wheel at that point.

The hammer looks great though and good for you for such nice work. I love the turned handle.

All the best.

Last edited:
Nice vids. I like the lighter. :thumbsup:

Thanks! Some of my viewers think I destroyed it.

I agree with what you say about not digging it, but partly i also agree with the viewers. It's how you look at it.
You could decide for a none full restauration to keep some of the antiquity.

An 1800 Napoleon head model scythe hammer for example.
https://erfgoedsporen.wordpress.com/2017/02/15/haarhamer-gerestaureerd-1800/

haarhamer-met-gerestaureerde-steel-1800-13-5x20cm1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom