From beautiful downtown Burbank...Gary Owens has passed

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
After a long career as a comedian, announcer, radio host and voiceover guy, Gary Owens has passed away.
For us old guys he might be best rememberd as the hilarious announcer on Laugh In, but he was way more than that.

RIP Mr. Owens.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/13/gary-owens-dead_n_6681204.html

"When appearing "in character" on camera as "Gary Owens, the announcer," Owens held his right hand up to his right ear while speaking into a gimbaled boom microphone. This is done in imitation of the announcers in the early days of radio, who had to rely upon the acoustic feedback of their cupped hand to hear how they sounded to the audience. However, on his KMPC radio show in the late 1960s and early 1970s, he claimed that this was because a piece of shrapnel took off his ear during the war; sometimes it would come loose and he had to hold it on; at other times he said that he was given a wooden ear, and was keeping the termites warm."

Wasn't he the voice of "Roger Ramjet" ? (cartoons). I know I saw him on a Batman episode not long ago. I think he was everywhere on TV then.

"Owens also lent his voice to more than 3,000 cartoons, providing the voice of “Space Ghost” as well as Blue Falcon, Roger Ramjet, Powdered Toast Man and even Batman. He was animated as himself in “Garfield and Friends,” “The Fantastic Four,” “Eek the Cat” and “Bobby’s World.”

Back
Top Bottom