• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

6 ring hunt. Thought I had my first gold.

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
Went to a close elementary school today. The field there is so big, I'll never be able to detect it all by the time it fills back up, so I hit it when I want to go close, but I never expect too much from it, other than the standard kiddie-stuff.

I found my first ring within minutes, and pull 5 more (6 total) by the end of the 1 and a half hunt. It was pretty quick action, with a couple or three digs a minute. mostly trash, of course, but there were enough rings in there, I was SURE I was going to find a decent one.

Toward dusk, I got a really nice solid mid-tone, but the VDI was scattered from 46 to 54 on the AT Max. The signal didn't sound trashy at all, so I dug it. Out popped the gold and pearl ring. The color was right, for 4 inches down, and the dirt didn't stick to it, anywhere. Gold for sure! I thought...

Brought it home and found it had a K on the ring! Sweet... but what's that?? "KREMENTZ"???

That's not a Karat marking... Quick google search, and it's rolled gold/plated gold.

Beauty of a ring, but definitely not solid.

Ah well... hunt #6 for the year, yielded 6 rings. Can't complain about that. The other "nice" ring didn't even fool me. As soon as I saw it pop out, I figured it was stainless steel, given that it rang up at 46. Nice ring, but worthless.

The $3.48 in change was more than worth the 90 minutes out there, though. Plus I got to "save" a kid who was near tears because his bike broke down and he was going to be late getting home. His chain had come off. Flipped the bike upside down, pulled the chain out, re-wrapped it on the sprockets, and away he went. One happy kid.:)

Cheers!

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_3809.JPG
    IMG_3809.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_3807.JPG
    IMG_3807.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_3806.JPG
    IMG_3806.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_3805.JPG
    IMG_3805.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 578
Congrats on the nice batch of kiddie rings, they're still fun to find. Also on saving that kiddos hide from trouble.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Finding a CTR ring is rare in most states. Not many Mormons out of Utah.

Nice ring count. Hope you get a gold this year

about 15-30% of the people around here are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Lots of CTR rings to be found. :)

I much prefer the silver ones, though I have found a gold! It was beauty of a little ring.

Most of them, though, are stainless steel, or are these "bend to fit" rings they give the young kids in church, to help them remember to "Choose The Right"

And yeah, Scuba, I know you know all that... it's for the benefit of those who may not know. :)

Cheers!

Skippy

A lot of action for 90 minutes effort. Congrats on digging 6 rings and a nice clad count to boot. Trapper

Hey Trapper...

I typically find 1 or 2... but 6 is more than average, yeah. :) My best in a school yard is 9, though, but that was a 4 hour hunt.

I'd say it's because there aren't many detectorists here, but there are gobs of them. I just don't think they have the inclination to grid a massive school yard. It can be boring, and its unlikely to uncover much more than junk rings, too.

I've done well, at it, though, over the years.

One elementary school, I've pulled 5 gold rings out of (close to 3 dozen total rings, though... that place was a jewelry pit, and only the "hot spots" were ever detected thoroughly.).

People tend to focus on the tot lots and obvious places (like at the basketball hoops), but if it's got grass, I'll detect it. I've found rings in places that they simply must have "Flown off".

Skippy

Nice job on saving the kids day. If you are like me (an 80's kid, born in 76) you can pop a chain back on a bike faster than a NASCAR pit crew can change a tire.

Excellent work on six rings. Makes me real jealous as I look out my office window at 23 degrees and snow cover with a forecast of another 10 inches of snow this coming weekend.

Nice job on saving the kids day. If you are like me (an 80's kid, born in 76) you can pop a chain back on a bike faster than a NASCAR pit crew can change a tire.

Excellent work on six rings. Makes me real jealous as I look out my office window at 23 degrees and snow cover with a forecast of another 10 inches of snow this coming weekend.

Yep, 80's kid born in mid-70's, too. :)

LOL Everytime I see a bike ride by, I think about the baseball cards, we'd toss in the spokes. :)

I see you are "on the trail" for the silver and gold. A half dozen rings in one day keeps a guys interest in gridding the big grass. Looking forward to lots of ring posts from you this year.

I see you are "on the trail" for the silver and gold. A half dozen rings in one day keeps a guys interest in gridding the big grass. Looking forward to lots of ring posts from you this year.

Always... I can't help but think (every time I find a junker), "ooh! that's one more closer to gold!"

;)

Ring/jewelry hunts I usually save for my water detecting hunts which are about 1 1/2 months away (once the water gets a tiny bit warmer). On comes the SCUBA and waders....I could only hope to find multiple rings on land hunts. Though it doesn't stop me from digging silver rings and the occasional gold one on land. I think last year I pulled 1 or 2 gold rings and about 10 silver ones on land, this year I am up to 6 silver and 1 gold plated rings.

6 ANYTHING for rings is great!

Back
Top Bottom