Hello from Bucks County, PA

ScaredOfClowns

Elite Member
Hi All -

I'm new to the hobby, just got my first metal detector. This is something I've wanted to try for a long time, but I'm not sure how to get started - doesn't seem like a good idea to just go to the local park and start digging.

I'd be grateful for any tips, especially if you're from SE Pennsylvania (I live in Doylestown, PA in Bucks county). Thanks!

PS - Just my luck to get started at the same time as the recent "American Diggers" TV show - IMHO, Ric Savage and his crew are idiots, and I'm afraid they'll give the hobby a bad name.

Welcome from South Mississippi. You've found a great place for information. The folks on here have a wealth of info. Enjoy the forum

welcome from berks county. ya might want to check if a permit is needed in bucks county

Start digging in your yard and local "tot lots" to get experience. Practice digging small plugs that look great when closed up. Then go out and dig the local city parks.

Welcome! Besides learning how to make a proper plug, just as important is learning how to accurately pinpoint with your detector and through the use of a pinpointer, be able to use a probe to pop your coins out with. Saves a lot of time and thereby increases your finds....

Welcome

Yeah please make sure you are good at Cutting plugs or Flaps and repairing the target holes back to original! Please don't be running around and digging holes in public with a spade or anything large, That really makes us look bad. Enjoy the Hobby and have fun, have you read the treasure hunters code of ethics? Good Luck and Happy Hunting...

Yeah please make sure you are good at Cutting plugs or Flaps and repairing the target holes back to original! Please don't be running around and digging holes in public with a spade or anything large, That really makes us look bad. Enjoy the Hobby and have fun, have you read the treasure hunters code of ethics? Good Luck and Happy Hunting...

Good post. Welcome to the forum from Michigan.

Hi All -

I'm new to the hobby, just got my first metal detector. This is something I've wanted to try for a long time, but I'm not sure how to get started - doesn't seem like a good idea to just go to the local park and start digging.

I'd be grateful for any tips, especially if you're from SE Pennsylvania (I live in Doylestown, PA in Bucks county). Thanks!

PS - Just my luck to get started at the same time as the recent "American Diggers" TV show - IMHO, Ric Savage and his crew are idiots, and I'm afraid they'll give the hobby a bad name.

Hi,
I just moved from Doylestown not too long ago. I'm living in north Jersey but come down to bucks county alot (family). If you're interested maybe we can get together sometime. Lots of history in Bucks!

Welcome from NE Texas !!
The best place to start is your own yard !!! You may be surprised what you find. Once you are ready to venture out then you will have some experience digging a plug and recovering targets.

Back
Top Bottom