I Couldn't Find A Wheat Penny If My Life Depended On It

beephead

Elite Member
I went to an older site this morning, I'd say the homes located around the site that detected were built around 1915. The site is used as a water retention basin/Neighborhood Park, mostly it's a water retention basin. I figured that there should be some old coins laying around there somewhere.

I started swinging and digging, but all I was finding was a bunch of clad coins. I was hoping that I could at least find some wheat pennies to give me some hope that there might be some silver there as well. I nearly gave up on the site, but I finally got my search coil over a 1924 Mercury Dime. It must have been on edge because the signal wasn't all that great and the EMI from the power lines was giving me fits.

A short while later I switched detectors and got my search coil over a 1914 Barber Dime. Again not a real good signal and I wasn't digging anything over 5 or 6 inches deep, most were at 4 inches. The next time that I hit that site, I'll take my CZ-5 and see how it handles the EMI.

beephead

Attachments

• IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0579.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_0580.jpg
    IMG_0580.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_0583.jpg
    IMG_0583.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 533
  • IMG_0585.jpg
    IMG_0585.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 471
I chased an Indian Head for 5 years and couldn’t find one. One day a woman was interested in learning about detectors and questioned me for several minutes. Finally she asked to see one in action.

I got one and we went to the curbstrip in front of her house. I said if we were lucky we’d find a penny or two. BAM! Immediately got a penny signal by the sidewalk. I could see the outline of it and picked it up, wiped it off and handed it to her saying “ Here’s your first buried treasure”.

She looked at it and said, “ Cool! 1887!”

I said “ You mean 1987, right?”

She said “ NOPE”

Found my first IH and gave it away.

That sounds like me yesterday. But you did much better with the two silvers... I was hitting curb strips for over 2 hours in a 1910-1920's neighborhood and found nothing but clad. I was begging for a wheat penny but had to give up. My coolest find was a broken tin charm.

It paid off for you

I chased an Indian Head for 5 years and couldn’t find one. One day a woman was interested in learning about detectors and questioned me for several minutes. Finally she asked to see one in action.

I got one and we went to the curbstrip in front of her house. I said if we were lucky we’d find a penny or two. BAM! Immediately got a penny signal by the sidewalk. I could see the outline of it and picked it up, wiped it off and handed it to her saying “ Here’s your first buried treasure”.

She looked at it and said, “ Cool! 1887!”

I said “ You mean 1987, right?”

She said “ NOPE”

Found my first IH and gave it away.

Looking at all the great finds you have had since then I would say you have been blessed for your act of kindness!

Thanks Everyone!

You probably noticed all the green weeds in the pictures. Early Spring around here before the grass cutting season starts makes it really hard to swing a detector because of all the weeds. Clover is the worst, closely followed by chickweed.

I plan on hitting that site again tomorrow. Hopefully, I didn't find the only 2 silver coins there. Heck, I might even find a wheat penny or two. If I get real lucky I'll catch a neighbor out in their yard and get a permission, maybe on some virgin ground.

beephead

If you are still looking for a wheat penny I will gladly trade you the 1950S that I found yesterday laying on top of the grass at a local park. Heck I will even pay postage both ways. Two silver dimes on the same hunt would have me doing a happy dance. Nice finds.

Nice finds beep! Was the EMI worse on the Nox or CTX? How does the Nox rank in your pecking order of detectors so far?

If you are still looking for a wheat penny I will gladly trade you the 1950S that I found yesterday laying on top of the grass at a local park. Heck I will even pay postage both ways. Two silver dimes on the same hunt would have me doing a happy dance. Nice finds.
I like my silver coins, but I like to find a wheat penny every once in awhile to keep me motivated to keep looking for silver. I can close to giving up too soon.

I forgo wheaties for Silver :cool3:

Nuf said
Those nasty ole wheat pennies can't hold a candle to silver coins.

Nice finds beep! Was the EMI worse on the Nox or CTX? How does the Nox rank in your pecking order of detectors so far?
Thanks! The EMI seemed to effect both about the same. I guess I should have cut back on the sensitivity some. It depends on what I'm detecting for and where. The CTX 3030 rules for finding old silver coins at a trashy park setting. The Deus works great around and in a bed of nails. The Nox fits in somewhere in between but not as good as either at what they each do best. Now tomorrow I'll get to see what the my CZ-5 will do at that site. That sucker has already found me 2 Barbers in short order.

beephead

I went to an older site this morning, I'd say the homes located around the site that detected were built around 1915. The site is used as a water retention basin/Neighborhood Park, mostly it's a water retention basin. I figured that there should be some old coins laying around there somewhere.

I started swinging and digging, but all I was finding was a bunch of clad coins. I was hoping that I could at least find some wheat pennies to give me some hope that there might be some silver there as well. I nearly gave up on the site, but I finally got my search coil over a 1924 Mercury Dime. It must have been on edge because the signal wasn't all that great and the EMI from the power lines was giving me fits.

A short while later I switched detectors and got my search coil over a 1914 Barber Dime. Again not a real good signal and I wasn't digging anything over 5 or 6 inches deep, most were at 4 inches. The next time that I hit that site, I'll take my CZ-5 and see how it handles the EMI.

beephead

A couple of nice little old ladies.. good job.

Back
Top Bottom