Ear phones

petejc

I'm very new at this but I bought a Garrett ACE 400 and it came with some cheesy head set. I didn't like the small size and thought they would bother my ears after awhile so I bought a more expensive and larger set. I've only been out 5 times and I hear the sound very well without the headset and was wondering why guys use them. My Garrett has a nice sound coming from the unit so what is the reason or advantage for wearing headphones...????

Headphones save on battery life. Believe me, you will hear more through the headphones than through the speaker. Plus, the external speaker can draw unwanted attention. Use the headphones :yes:

I wear mine if it's windy or if there is traffic/construction noise or if I'm somewhere I don't want my noise to bother others.

I don't wear them when I field or creek hunt, but if I am somewhere public, I use them. For instance, if there are people in the park while I hunting, it is distracting to them and almost acts as a beacon that attracts people to me.

I wear headphones any time I am detecting. A detector beeping will draw all kinds of unwanted attention. You can hear the weaker signals with headphones that you will never hear without them. Headphones help to cut outside noise that will make targets harder to hear. Plus when I have on headphones I can ignore people asking "Have you found anything"

ear phones

Ok, I understand a lot better now....I used them the first time but every time I had an object I had to take off the head phones, lay the machine down, get all the other stuff ready....I just thought taking off the head phone every time was a pain but I guess that's the way it is supposed to be done, so I guess I have to do what you experienced guys tell me....Stil have a lot to learn. Thanks.

My headphones (Killer B Hornets) have a pretty long cord and a switch on the side that I believe alternates them between stereo and mono. The stereo side completely mutes the machine, so as I'm going to kneel down I flip the switch, set the machine down and grab my digger. It doesn't take long at all. I suggest you try keeping them on as you're digging. You'll find a fluid and efficient way to dig targets after a little repetition.

Ok, I understand a lot better now....I used them the first time but every time I had an object I had to take off the head phones, lay the machine down, get all the other stuff ready....I just thought taking off the head phone every time was a pain but I guess that's the way it is supposed to be done, so I guess I have to do what you experienced guys tell me....Stil have a lot to learn. Thanks.

I just slide the left ear phone off and put to side of ear.. easy slip back on when I am done

There's no reason you have to take off the headphones every time you get a target to dig. Just lay the detector down and keep the headphones on.

If you need to take them off, something tells me you may be using too big of a shovel? Most can be done one handed. If you were digging from your knees, I assume you should have enough cord.

With the Ace series you wear phones so others wont hear the annoying beeps!:lol:
With At pro you have to use em or you will miss targets.:yes:

You could go wireless with a Garrett zlynk kit.
Or one of the many wireless set ups shown on this forum.
Headphones keep you from unwanted attention and do not disturb others.

earphones

Big Treble and Diggin4clad, I forgot to mention I cannot kneel down. I have to do all my digging standing with a real wide stance and then bend over to use hand digger and pointer. I have two knee replacements and I just can't put any weight on either knee. So when I hit a target and lay the Garrett down the cord is at its limit and pulls on my ears...not comfortable.
I did see a guy on youtube video that had a lanyard tied from detector to his waist so the detector just hangs down about 18 inches off the ground..but then I'm afraid it will be too close to my hand pointer and give off false signal....I'm all screwed up. I should have taken up this sport when I was young.

Big Treble and Diggin4clad, I forgot to mention I cannot kneel down. I have to do all my digging standing with a real wide stance and then bend over to use hand digger and pointer. I have two knee replacements and I just can't put any weight on either knee. So when I hit a target and lay the Garrett down the cord is at its limit and pulls on my ears...not comfortable.
I did see a guy on youtube video that had a lanyard tied from detector to his waist so the detector just hangs down about 18 inches off the ground..but then I'm afraid it will be too close to my hand pointer and give off false signal....I'm all screwed up. I should have taken up this sport when I was young.

You should be able to get a headphone extension I would think

I used wireless headphones about ten years ago, even though they were Radio Shack and all RS products only worked reliably for a month or two. Haven’t had another set since then but I believe wireless headsets are a great investment.

One of the reasons I use headphones is that I can ignore people if I want to. I pretend that I can't hear them. I take them off to talk to them and when I put them back on they give up and leave me alone.

Back
Top Bottom