Silver vein

Donneybrook

Elite Member
Two years and four days ago in January of 2014 I had a big haul at the bank. 67/100 of the halves were silver (31 90% and 36 40%) https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=177526

Well I finally got silver! This is my first CRH silver since that haul.

STORYTIME! Tuesday night (THE 2 year anniversary) I went to work and saw a half dollar laying on the ground. I picked it up and low and behold, it was actually a silver 1967! I was overjoyed. Later that night I told a fellow employee and he was like sweeeeet. Then he said there was a mishap with the coin counting machine earlier that day and that after a customer put in halves it shot them all out everywhere and that was probably one that happened to roll away. Well of course I immediately thought they all must have been silver. Shame they're gone now. He said it was probably about $20 of halves. He said they weren't silver or anything cause they were getting everyone's hands dirty and "pure silver wouldn't do that." I walked to my area of the store then thought, HOLY CRRAP I NEVER ASKED WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM. :laughing:

I ran back to him and he said ask lady #1 cause she was there. She then directed me to lady #2 and said they were now in the machine cause she put them in manually. I then half heartedly asked if it was possible to buy them from the machine and she said if I came Saturday night late I could probably buy them. While I was talking with her, another girl popped her head in from a back room and said "Are y'all talking about the halves? Yeah they weren't old or anything..." -- After all this I was thinking, I guarantee these are all 40%ers. #1) the machine shot them out because they were off weight - #2) they were dirty, classic of 40%ers - #3) even though the girl from the back room said they weren't old, not many know about 40%ers.

Well, tonight I went and told lady #1 who was working again what I had been told and she was like yeah that's totally cool. She called over A FOUTRH lady who opened the machine up, verified everything and boom. Within 45 minutes I had $56 in halves. The whole time I could see LOADS of silver and hear the tell-tale clinking 😱 Beautiful. The total haul was 7 90% and 36 40%ers!! (plus the 37th 40%er I found on the ground). Today was a good day.

The machine shortchanged me 50 cents for a railroad flattened quarter, but I didn't care :laughing::laughing: So in the end I got 43/111. Pretty stinking amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
So according to the online values it's about $137 melt. Obviously not selling for a while though 😂

Last edited:
Sir Donneybrook! That is a great story on following up on your gut hunch! You well deserve the rewards of your patience and effort! And just hang onto em because since you got them for face value you have the minimum possible invested in them!

Keep your eyes open as KT knows there are other peasants out there dumping those kinds of goodies! :laughing::laughing::laughing::D

Awesome Story of a Great Day!! Gotta give you props for your thinkings and persistence in tracking them down and scoring! Well Done!
Mud

Sir Donneybrook! That is a great story on following up on your gut hunch! You well deserve the rewards of your patience and effort! And just hang onto em because since you got them for face value you have the minimum possible invested in them!

Keep your eyes open as KT knows there are other peasants out there dumping those kinds of goodies! :laughing::laughing::laughing::D

Thank you KT! I don't get silver often...2 years lol...but when I do, I try to go big ;) :laughing: I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled! Nice we both got big scores this week. You killed it :wow:

Nice job! I'd sell the 40's at some point in time, but keep the 90%.

Thanks man! Definitely a good point to remember.

Awesome Story of a Great Day!! Gotta give you props for your thinkings and persistence in tracking them down and scoring! Well Done!
Mud

Thanks Mud! I still can't believe it actually worked haha Imagine if I'd been stupid and hadn't gone back and asked about them :shock: :laughing:

Great story, Donneybrook, and great perseverance getting the ok from whoever you had to, to cash in on this fabulous find! I can't imagine finding a silver half on the ground - I would be like wt* - who is screwing with me? Awesome, dude, just awesome!

Back
Top Bottom