Men's Sterling Ring Makers Mark Identification

Dave_e

Elite Member
Found this men's sterling ring at a very old home site, but I can't find the makers mark on the internet. It's a diamond with an upper case "V" or roman numeral 5 on it.

Can anyone help me out? Here's a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_2608.jpg
    IMG_2608.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 264
Could be VARGAS MFG. CO., Providence, RI.

VARGAS: 1945 - 1980?

The Vargas Manufacturing Company was founded in Providence, RI in 1945 and produced ornamental costume jewelry, prong set with clear and colored rhinestones, faux pearls and simulated colored glass stones (ruby, sapphire and opal) on sterling silver, 10k gold filled, gold plated and silver plated base metals. Many pieces designs (bracelets in particular) had 3-dimensional detailed surfaces layered with huge repousse’ scrolled leaves and textured berries set on an antique finish of silvertone and goldtone metal with smooth and shining surfaces on the interior of the jewelry pieces. The bracelets, at least 1 ½" wide, opened wide, were hinged and came with a safety chain for added security. Many of the jewelry designs were identical to those made by Whiting & Davis also located in Providence, RI, (sharing designs -the practice between competing costume jewelry houses was not uncommon in the 1940s and 1950s), and competition was prevalent in those days. Mark: "V in an elongated diamond shape" since 1945, "VARGAS" ornamental jewelry since June 1945, "Vargas 10K GF", "Cradle Craft" in script on children’s jewelry, pendants, necklaces, pins, bracelets and finger rings in Sept. 1946, " a large V partly inside and outside a triangle" particularly on ornamental jewelry for children since Jam. 15, 1947, "Lucky Elephant" in 1960 and "Brazilia" in 1971, "Grandee" in 1971, "Bennard" in 1969. It is assumed that the company ceased operations in 1980.

Attachments

• vargasVsig.jpg
    vargasVsig.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 209
  • VargasMk.jpg
    VargasMk.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 211
Thanks digger27.

Funny this was about 20 feet from an 1832 large cent I found at the same depth.

Didn't seem like a high quality piece but I was hoping it was older.

Back
Top Bottom