Circulation of coins in the Old west

luky5251

Hello it's been a long time since my last post on this forum. I'm still very interested in old west history and especially in the coins of old west. Please can you tell me based on your finds or some numismatic knowledge coins from which mints circulated in the old west area most frequently ? Was it San Francisco, New Orleans, Carson City or Philadelphia ? From what I know I suppose that most coins found in Western USA or Another states west of Mississippi like Texas,Oklahoma,Kansas,Nebraska,South and North Dakota is from San Francisco and Carson City mint. Less of them bear New Orleans mintmark - more of theese maybe could be found in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. I think that of finds from Philadelphia mint are less than coins from other mints. Is my theory correct ? Please tell me something about this issue and teach me :)

Please bear in mind that I'm talking about silver coins from old west era. I know that coins like IHD pennies were all minted in Philadelphia except 1908,1909 for San Francisco so even in the west this is the only mint where they are coming from.

Yes I know about Denver mint but first coins with D mintmark came from it in 1906 and that's not old west era.

Oklahoma (and likely Texas and Kansas) got their mint coins from New Orleans. Prior to 1906, the "O" mintmark is the most likely one you will find, with the Phily and San Fran making up smaller amounts. Carson City mint coins are very rare to find in this area, especially since most of the movement was coming from the east and going west.

my oldest silver coin was an 1877 seated dime with a CC mint mark that I found here in Kansas. Someone had drilled a tiny hole through the mint mark and i have never figured out how they drilled such a tiny hole.

That must have been a great find. Too bad it has a hole. It will significantly decrease value. Sliversmith45 did you also found some Morgan or Barber dime or some newer issue of seated dime ? If yes, which mint mark that coins have ?

Dodge City Kansas most of my old coins are O from New Orleans or no mint mark. Next would be S (San Francisco) a close second.

Interesting thread! If you get a chance luky5251, you should probably come over here and go on a hunt... find a few...go to some coin shows to see some great ones...etc..It seems you have the right interest...
Mud

That must have been a great find. Too bad it has a hole. It will significantly decrease value. Sliversmith45 did you also found some Morgan or Barber dime or some newer issue of seated dime ? If yes, which mint mark that coins have ?

I haven't found any other seated coins or Morgan dollars. I have found a number of Barber dimes and a Barber half. Most were either D or S mint marks. I found a 1916 dime but it was an S mint mark.

Philadelphia is the oldest mint, since 1792. These coins stretch out across the entire country, but less in the West. Produced silver coins until 1964. Your old silver.

The New Orleans mint (1838-1909) closed (1861-1879) produced both silver and gold coinage. 54 years.

The San Francisco mint (1854-1955) silver years. Produced gold and silver coins.

The Carson City mint (1870-1893) closed (1886-1888) local silver coins and some gold. 22 years.

The Denver mint started in 1906, producing silver coins until 1964.

The Charlotte (1838-1861) and Dahlonega (1838-1861) mints did not mint silver, only local gold coins.

Region, time frame, then coin type is your answer.
The regions are more likely to yelled the local coinage. Rarer to find San Francisco gold in Georgia.
The New Oleans mint was the major source of coins out of the South and Southwest until 1861. (Start of the Civil War) Then again from 1880-1909. They produced a variety of coins in silver but not many as Philadelphia. 54 years minting silver.
San Fransisco would also be a major source on the West Coast into the mid-west. Became a major coin maker in the West.
Carson City is more regional, time frame, and coin type oriented than the others because they did not mint large amounts of coinage or coin types...so they did not spread as far as quickly. Most of the 10, 20, 25, 50 cent silver coins from Carson City were minted between 3-8 years. The Trade and Morgan dollars were minted much longer (until 1885 and 1893). This is the reason that Carson City coins tend to be worth more. Only 22 years of silver minted.

Since 1894, most silver coinage will be Denver, San Fansisco, or Philadelphia. (Time frame)

Last edited:
my oldest silver coin was an 1877 seated dime with a CC mint mark that I found here in Kansas. Someone had drilled a tiny hole through the mint mark and i have never figured out how they drilled such a tiny hole.

I use to make ear rings with dimes, nickles, and Quarters, when I was younger. Sold them like crazy until i found out it was illegal to deface money like that. usually made then with their birth date. It takes a tiny drill bit to make them.

Thank you for your answers. I'm glad to at last get some more knowledge in this area. I have searched almost whole internet and nowhere found thread such as this. I've read many articles about vintage US coinage but it was mostly about typology,mints, types of currencies etc. Almost nowhere on internet there isn't more detailed article about actual circulation of coins in the old west. On of the main reasons for my question is my US coins collection. I really like old west history,legends,movies etc. and so I'm trying to buy mostly a coins, that really circulated in that area and came through many hands of cowboys, prospectors or even dangerous outlaws :) I'm looking forward to another interesting posts so I can get even more data on my question :)

Maybe sometimes If I will manage to come to USA I could also find something interesting by metaldetecting like you. It must be great to find some 19th century coin directly in the former wild west area :)

I use to make ear rings with dimes, nickles, and Quarters, when I was younger. Sold them like crazy until i found out it was illegal to deface money like that. usually made then with their birth date. It takes a tiny drill bit to make them.

I did silversmithing for over thirty years. The law states that it is only illegal to deface coins if it was done with fraudulent intent. It is not illegal to cut coins unless you are trying to cheat someone.
Z1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom