NEL coils??

flyin-lowe

Elite Member
I've been away for a couple years and plan on doing some more swinging this spring. I had always wanted to get a smaller coil for my AT pro and now that I am back I am seeing a lot of NEL coils. I don't remember every hearing of them back in 2012 when I got my AT pro. I am not sure how long they have been around but I am just started to notice their stuff for sale.

Curious how they are thought of and if many of you use their coils. Do you guys recommend the garret coils or are the NEL's better?

I tried a search and didn't find any threads on the reputation of the NEL coils.

I've had a NEL sharpshooter for every machine I've had.

Including the AT Pro, they are excellent coils. I didn't hate the Garrett 5x8 though if you can get a good deal on a used one.

You may also see CORS coils which are rebranded NEL coils and typically sell for less ..for some reason.

NEL Sharpshooter / CORS Fortune = same coil different sticker.

Hi a newish coil on the block here in the UK are the Mars coils,They get really good reviews with the Mars tiger 10×13.great all round coil.There's about five different sizes at present no coil covers needed either. Only thing when fitting only use one of the coil rubbers not dragging on but really good coils.

I'm using a CORS Scout on my AT Gold and am happy with it. Same as a NEL Hunter coil and wasn't too expensive. It senses deeper targets, pinpoints well and isn't as heavy as the larger NEL/CORS coils. I mostly use it in open fields or beaches but in really trashy areas I'll switch back to my Garrett 5 x 8 or 4 inch sniper coil as they separate targets a little better. Good luck! :good:

The guys up here that hunt water gold with the AtPros use NELS with great success...After seeing their success, I got the THUNDER this Fall to replace the stock 8x11...My reasoning was a Larger footprint for the coverage, and better depth for the sanded in sides of the trough...

Yes, it has worked just as planned...I can cover more beach quicker, and I can hunt deeper targets that are along either side of the main trough/undertow/rip areas that constantly change....so it was a good choice..and it paid itself off within the first 24hrs, so yeah...I like it! :laughing:
Mud

Attachments

• oct 9-16-1.jpg
    oct 9-16-1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 691
  • nel pro2.jpg
    nel pro2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 701
  • oct 6-16-3.jpg
    oct 6-16-3.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 709
  • oct 6-16-7.jpg
    oct 6-16-7.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 698
How Does the coil behave on the AT Pro? Is it chatty? How is target seperatiin. I am considering this cool for mine in lieu of the Tornado I have now.

How Does the coil behave on the AT Pro? Is it chatty? How is target seperatiin. I am considering this cool for mine in lieu of the Tornado I have now.

I have the NEL storm for my pro, it is a bit deeper than the stock coil. One thing you must know is to use the pinpoint mode as the wiggle back method usually leaves your target a few inches toward you. The big coils are more chatty especially close to power lines or other emi sources. The id numbers are generally off a bit too. I will say they are well made and heavy duty (as well as just heavy) and the bigger ones are deeper, not by a mile but deeper. Mine is about an inch deeper on a dime, pro zero max sens no disc.

I'm interested in a deeper coil but the better separation appeals to me. Maybe it's not a big deal though, anything looks better on paper but the Tornado has been a good coil and I'm hoping for a little better in trashy areas.

I'm interested in a deeper coil but the better separation appeals to me. Maybe it's not a big deal though, anything looks better on paper but the Tornado has been a good coil and I'm hoping for a little better in trashy areas.

I dont know about hunting around a pavillion or a trashy park with this thing...I DO hunt those kind of areas with an 11" dd on my other rig and got to learn it a bit...I dont think this would be the right tool for the job in heavy trash...It would make for a great open field hunter or beachsweeper...

I did a little write up on my first impressions of this coil back in early Oct on the Waterhunters forum...I was in some trash there that day, iron mostly, but then again, since everything is sand, its no big deal about the pinpointing, you just scoop and go...
Mud

I dont know about hunting around a pavillion or a trashy park with this thing...I DO hunt those kind of areas with an 11" dd on my other rig and got to learn it a bit...I dont think this would be the right tool for the job in heavy trash...It would make for a great open field hunter or beachsweeper...

I did a little write up on my first impressions of this coil back in early Oct on the Waterhunters forum...I was in some trash there that day, iron mostly, but then again, since everything is sand, its no big deal about the pinpointing, you just scoop and go...
Mud

I figure that for tight places I always have the original coil but I do a lot of places in open woods or fields around old homesteads etc. big yards and things like that also.

I ordered one to check out. Should be here next week.

I figure that for tight places I always have the original coil but I do a lot of places in open woods or fields around old homesteads etc. big yards and things like that also.

I ordered one to check out. Should be here next week.

Sweet! Remember to do the 'factory reset' procedure after you hook it all up...You probably know this, but I'll just throw it out there for a PSA to the readership...

I really like this coil..it hits hard on its full centerline from bow to stern..so its perfect for dragging it through the riffle trough like a squeegee!:laughing: Or along a sidewalk I imagine...Let us know what you think..what you find, etc...Good Luck!
Mud

The guys up here that hunt water gold with the AtPros use NELS with great success...After seeing their success, I got the THUNDER this Fall to replace the stock 8x11...My reasoning was a Larger footprint for the coverage, and better depth for the sanded in sides of the trough...

Yes, it has worked just as planned...I can cover more beach quicker, and I can hunt deeper targets that are along either side of the main trough/undertow/rip areas that constantly change....so it was a good choice..and it paid itself off within the first 24hrs, so yeah...I like it! :laughing:

Mud

Damnit I have been telling myself I don't need this coil, however, the more I read about it the more I want it for my beach hunts. I need to fill my new scoop with some yellow.

Damnit I have been telling myself I don't need this coil, however, the more I read about it the more I want it for my beach hunts. I need to fill my new scoop with some yellow.

Yeah, I hear you Fuzzy! I generally lay back for a while and watch the feedback when something 'new' comes out...But I popped the cork quickly on this THUNDER when it was introduced!...Like BOOM! First in the STATES to pop cash and draw blood!

..Hell, I watched and waited for a few years before springing for the AtPro! Then I watched and waited to see how the NELS were performing for others, After a while, a guy simply cannot argue with infield results and wants their share!

Me and Irons and Icescratcher and Sturrat all have our Pros tipped with NELS, and all we hunt is water gold....I'm sure there are plenty of others around here that are using them but just not as prolific of posters....this will give you an idea...though...The 'Right tool for the Job'...Time and Gold waits for Nobody...
Mud

I have a question if I may? I hunt in parks, so lots of trash. Would you all say that the NEL coil is significantly better then the stock 5x8 on the AT Pro for this application? If so which coil is better in trash, the Sharpshooter or the Snake?
Thanks for any input!

Back
Top Bottom