Vinegar and Salt Tumbling

Digger-Dave

Forum Supporter
I usually tumble all of my clad in a bath of water, ammonia and dish soap.

Yeah, stuff got clean, but the nickels, dimes and quarters never got to look the way they were dropped. They always stayed that brown/reddish color.

I just did a batch of clad nickels, dimes and quarters using this Vinegar and Salt Tumbling method.

I was surprised to see that the brown/reddish look went away. The first thing I realized was that the vinegar turned to a green color.

Give this a shot if you want your nickels, dimes and quarters to lose that stubborn brown/reddish staining.

After only a half hour the coins once again looked like actual currency that wouldn't embarrass us. They weren't gorgeous looking, but satisfactory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMcWWNZuvCo

I just got a tumbler to clean em too. I just did my first batch and the pennies came out goo but when I did the quarters, dimes and nickels they all came out with a rose gold color. I used a mixed stainless media. I have no idea why they came out that way as I read before hand to sort and not tumble with pennies. But even though they are rose gold they are still clean as a whistle!

Edit: I used vinegar and salt solution as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom