Any insulator experts out there?

SalemScott

Forum Supporter
I found this insulator while detecting in the woods years ago. It's been sitting on a shelf since then. It says "Brookfield" on one side and "New York" on the other and is a dark green color. I know some of these have value but they gotta be the rare ones, which I'm unfamiliar with. What's your thoughts on it? Age? Any value? Thanks.

P.s. If you can't figure it out, I'm just chilling here at home. Poking around at some of the silly stuff I've accumulated over the years of detecting.:D

P8110001.JPG

P8110002.JPG

I have seen a lot (1000s) of insulators, that one you have is not too common as far as I know..

Cool one!

<*)))>{

I have seen a lot (1000s) of insulators, that one you have is not too common as far as I know..

Cool one!

<*)))>{

I agree with Ice Scratcher... Never seen one like it and I’ve seen many in my day.

Wow, this is great to hear. I remember years ago these were big collectibles but I don't hear much about them anymore. Maybe I lucked out and found a good one. Now to figure out what to do with it. Thanks.

Holy cow! I've almost throw this thing away many times. The insulator in the e-bay link looks VERY similar to what I have. I think I will throw this up on E-bay, it's not like I'm about to start up an insulator collection.:laughing: Only problem is, I've never used e-bay before so I'll have to figure out the proper description of the item. Thanks for everybody's help and if you have any tips for E-baying this, I'd appreciate it.

I know where there is a blue one at. I don't thank much of it and never pick it up and take it home. I weed eat for some people and it's laying on the ground beside a telephone pole should I grab it up.

I know where there is a blue one at. I don't thank much of it and never pick it up and take it home. I weed eat for some people and it's laying on the ground beside a telephone pole should I grab it up.

Maybe you should! Did you see the price of some of them? One of them on e-bay was worth a few thousand. Some are only worth a few bucks. It just depends if you get a rare one I guess.

What would a rare one look like or what would I look for in one to see if it was rare.

I'm not the person to answer that. Try checking e-bay and looking at the link Rudy provided above and see if you can figure out which one you have. Good luck.

Looks like a cd-160 like the one I had lying around in a box...
if it is, they date back to 1872+....
not a common insulator, especially in that dark green color...
ill see if i can dig a pic of mine up.

here are a few...
mine starts out a 7up'ish green and ends up so green you can barely see light through it.

Attachments

• brookfieldcd-160front.jpg
    brookfieldcd-160front.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 700
  • brookfieldcd-160Ltop.jpg
    brookfieldcd-160Ltop.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 700
  • brookfieldcd-160front2.jpg
    brookfieldcd-160front2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 701
What would I look for in one to see if it was rare.

First get a job that includes running around to many states to survey utilities and after looking at a few thousand around the RR tracks, woods, mountians, and roadsides you will know a rare one when you see it..

That is what I had to do lol...

I have a collection of odd ones, I might get around to posting them one day..

The ones I have are from big 345kV on down to house drops...

<*)))>{

Wow! Why would anyone throw away an insulator? I would at the very least carefully use it as a door stop, like I did with my cannon ball for 30 years.

yeah it's worth a big of cash. Condition, coloring (if there are swirls of amber in it, it's worth even more) etc...
I've found quite a few insulators MD'ing..but mostly when i bottle dig.

there are some insulators that reach 3-5k range...
not bad for wandering and finding a shiny piece of glass...

also the common cd-45's (beehive) can be worth money if the embossing is blotted out, spelled incorrectly etc...

There is a huge stretch of tracks that sits on the back border of where I dig and it's pretty secluded. Many broken down poles w/o wire that have been there since the late 1800's. Just need to find the time to walk the banks near the tracks.

here are a few pics of semi-rare ones I have.

a Cd-106 cd-145 cd-101 cd-126 very pretty colors on some of them.

Attachments

• brookfield126.3full.jpg
    brookfield126.3full.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 626
  • brookfieldcd101xotop.jpg
    brookfieldcd101xotop.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 621
  • brookfiledcd101xoside.jpg
    brookfiledcd101xoside.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 620
  • brookfield3cd-145front.jpg
    brookfield3cd-145front.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 627
  • hemingray9cd106oldmold.jpg
    hemingray9cd106oldmold.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 620
First get a job that includes running around to many states to survey utilities and after looking at a few thousand around the RR tracks, woods, mountians, and roadsides you will know a rare one when you see it..

That is what I had to do lol...

I have a collection of odd ones, I might get around to posting them one day..

The ones I have are from big 345kV on down to house drops...

<*)))>{

Now that's funny.

Rare Insulator? Help!

I have a unique insulator that I am trying to get some info (ie. value) about. I was in contact with one guy from a website who started out by telling me it looked to be very rare and possibly worth something. But now he is back pedaling telling me that he and his "expert" friend believe it has been painted in order to achieve the color it is. I examined it thoroughly, even tried scratching the glass with a blade and I see no signs of paint.

I am interested in selling it but have had no luck finding anything similar online about it nor does anybody I've taken it to in my area have any worthwhile knowledge about it. HELP!!

The writing on it says HEMINGRAY -12 (there's a very small letter or number underneath, too) On the other side it says MADE IN U.S.A.
23 - 50 :::.

Thanks,
Kim

Attachments

• 20140423_203940[1].jpg
    20140423_203940[1].jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 446
  • 20140423_203955[1].jpg
    20140423_203955[1].jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 427
  • 20140423_204817[1].jpg
    20140423_204817[1].jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 432
I have a unique insulator that I am trying to get some info (ie. value) about. I was in contact with one guy from a website who started out by telling me it looked to be very rare and possibly worth something. But now he is back pedaling telling me that he and his "expert" friend believe it has been painted in order to achieve the color it is. I examined it thoroughly, even tried scratching the glass with a blade and I see no signs of paint.

I am interested in selling it but have had no luck finding anything similar online about it nor does anybody I've taken it to in my area have any worthwhile knowledge about it. HELP!!

The writing on it says HEMINGRAY -12 (there's a very small letter or number underneath, too) On the other side it says MADE IN U.S.A.
23 - 50 :::.

Thanks,
Kim

Just WOW!

Does not look painted (stop trying to scratch it!!)

I would be willing to bet, it was maybe a little "side project" by the guys that were making them at the time... Super cool, I don't know values, but that one has got to be worth as much as some of the highest dollar ones... Just an opinion though...

Awesome!

<*)))>{

Back
Top Bottom