18k return attempt…

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
Last month, I had the fortune of finding the most unbelievable ring that I have ever found detecting dry sands. Here’s the original posting:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=182916
Since I am not a true :pirate2:and I have not ventured to the “Dark Side” yet, my conscience bothered me and I felt a compulsion to return the lost wedding ring. For 1 month I have been checking every other day Craigslist and a Miami Beach “Lost & Found” site to see if anyone had posted it as “lost”. Since there was no posting for it, I contacted the Piaget store in Miami this morning and gave them the serial # on the ring and my phone and asked them to try and contact the owner for them to call me. I was truly happy at my decision and I felt relieved at returning the beautiful ring. Later in the afternoon, I got a call from the manager at the store and he told me that “they had no way of contacting the owner because the ring was not sold in the United States and it was not accessible information”. So here I am, happy that I will get to keep the ring, but also saddened that I could not return it. At least I am satisfied in knowing that I made every attempt that I could at its return.

Attachments

• 3-16-14 Ring 2.jpg
    3-16-14 Ring 2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 511
  • 3-16-14 Ring 3.jpg
    3-16-14 Ring 3.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 523
Good job on the return attempt and congratulations, you now have a beautiful 18k all for yourself. :yes:

I also congratulate you. I tried unsuccessfully to return an 18K ring with a bunch of beautiful diamonds in it. Also no success and was able to keep it.

At least we know we did our best.

:pirate2: don't get soft,,,,,we spend a lot of time out there trying to find the stuff and go home a lot of days with nothing,,,,,there is enough times we all spend helping people and when you get a nice one like you got, don't feel bad about it,,,GL HH

That has to be a good feeling. You did what you could, and you still have a beautiful ring! Congratulations!

Excellent work sir! You truly did what you could. I too tried to return a gorgeous Cartier band a month or two back and made no headway...even with a serial number and even after contacting the Cartier company itself. Ah well, it's yours now! :yes:

I'd love to find something I can return, I helped someone who later found their ring themselves after a suggestion but to find something and return it would be a bucket list thing for me...and find something I can keep too...ive got a few silver rings ive kept...youd think some people with expensive rings would at least have their zip and house number on it, even a certain promised reward for return...that would help finders have a legal way to get cash for finding something.

You could have "01247-421-$250 RW" and that would find them, give the amount and be a very quick return.

That is a great story! I have yet to find anything that I could return to anyone (except fishing weights). Now you have a pretty ring and even better a clear mind!

Nice of you to try. Why not post a photo of it and ask if someone lost it? I bet you will find the owner fast and it will make you feel good. :laughing:

Nice of you to try. Why not post a photo of it and ask if someone lost it? I bet you will find the owner fast and it will make you feel good. :laughing:

Gee, why didn't I think of that?:facepalm:

Better you have it than the ocean, right?

I personally wouldn't worry too much about returning a $10,000-$40,000 piece of jewelry, as people who can afford jewelry that expensive likely won't miss it a whole lot, (they were careless enough about it that they lost it in the first place), and it likely was insured and the owner has been compensated.

Enjoy your windfall.

Back
Top Bottom