Looking for a new detector

aver3

I'm looking for a beginner metal detector. I bought a house about two years ago that dates back to the 1920s. For whatever reason, there are Christmas lights buried throughout the yard. There are seashells everywhere. Marbles. Scary statue heads. Rat tailed files. Screwdrivers. All kinds of things hidden around the yard. Obviously, a detector won't help with the seashells, marbles, and creepy statues, but I'm certain I could find quite a bit around the property.

I had been looking at the Bounty Hunter TK4. Then I found the BH Discovery 3300 and the Dr. Otek MT-XR. Would I be better off spending the extra $40 or so for one of the other detectors? I've only found a few reviews of the MT-XR.

Thank you all in advance!

I'm looking for a beginner metal detector. I bought a house about two years ago that dates back to the 1920s. For whatever reason, there are Christmas lights buried throughout the yard. There are seashells everywhere. Marbles. Scary statue heads. Rat tailed files. Screwdrivers. All kinds of things hidden around the yard. Obviously, a detector won't help with the seashells, marbles, and creepy statues, but I'm certain I could find quite a bit around the property.

I had been looking at the Bounty Hunter TK4. Then I found the BH Discovery 3300 and the Dr. Otek MT-XR. Would I be better off spending the extra $40 or so for one of the other detectors? I've only found a few reviews of the MT-XR.

Thank you all in advance!
You might let people know where you are located and your budget. Some detectors work a little better in diffrent kinds of soil.

If you think you will be half way serious about detecting other than just your yard the Nokta Simplex would be my choice for a first detector. If you decide it's not for you it will be easier to recoup most of your investment with this detector. The Simplex gets really high marks for it's cost.

You might let people know where you are located and your budget. Some detectors work a little better in diffrent kinds of soil.

I'm in southern middle Tennessee. It's pretty rocky around a lot of the area, but not bad around the property in question. For now, let's say under $150.

I'm in southern middle Tennessee. It's pretty rocky around a lot of the area, but not bad around the property in question. For now, let's say under $150.

In my opinion, you wouldn't be happy with anything in that $150 price range. Most detectorist spend that much just on on a good pinpointer. I agree with Longbow, I've heard good things about the Simplex and it would have good resale value if you used it lightly and discovered metal detecting wasn't your cup of tea.

Good luck on a new machine and detecting your property. Keep us posted!

I did a bunch of research before pulling the trigger on my Equinox 600, I had narrowed it down to three detectors; IMHO, this is what I found.

Nokta Simplex+ (best bang for the buck)
Ace Apex (was new to the market at the time, not a lot of reviews at the time)
Equinox 600 (rave reviews but was out of my budget at the time)

I watched a ton of reviews on youtube, reached out to a number of the youtubers for their input. I had the Simplex in the cart ready to pull the trigger when some additional funds became available so I went with the Equinox 600.

Youtube was a great tool in helping me make the decision.
https://youtu.be/tRkewPQtq_k

Good luck!

Last edited:
Quest X5 is $149 Quest X10 is $199 (love mine). Nothing is better for the $ and I own a simplex and a vanquish.

If you don't know if you are going to stick with the hobby and just curious about what's in your yard, you may be able to find someone nearby with a couple of detectors to show you the ropes and see what you can find. Can make the decision after that if you want to pull the trigger on a new detector.

I decided on a Quest X5. I wonder about longevity with a built-in battery, though. I suppose I can carry a power bank when it gets old and won't hold a charge long, but what about if/when the battery puffs and becomes a fire hazard? Is it replaceable, or will I be modifying it to accept a battery like an rc vehicle uses? 🤔

If you’re shopping “price” just be willing to accept the result of what you have. A cheap machine to use for a couple hours might be all you need. You just won’t find everything there is to find. But that might be OK, because you’ll never know that.

Back
Top Bottom