• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Redwing Boots

cmbtvet

Forum Supporter
Maybe you've never thought about your footwear being an accessory for MDing but I'm sure just about all of us have had our footwear set off our machines.

I bought these yesterday for work Redwing Hikers and realized when I got home there was no metal on them. I even scanned them with my pro pointer to be sure.

They are expensive at $119 but like I said, they were purchased for work. Hopefully they will last the whole year because until now I have been buying cheap $25 boots from Walmart and have to get a new pair every 2-3 months.

There are probably cheaper boots out there but a lot of the guys I work with swear by the Redwings so I figured I would give them a try.

SWEET! Thanks for the info! They look very comfortable and they are waterproof too! Bonus:yes:

Says they are steel toed...

I can promise you that they are NOT steel toe, I have them on my feet right now, they ARE soft toe boots.

Probably a slip-up on the web page.

I would also like to add that today is the first day I have worn them (bought last night) to break them in a little before heading back to work next week and they feel broken in already. I'm really liking these already :)

I have worn many different redwings for at least 20 years
I used to wear there above the ankle boots when i worked outside for years.
now i am on concrete all day i wear there flat soled shoes that are for that purpose. they are a little heavy and there not cheap but there is no break in or sore feet. They last me about 18 months on average
I work in maitinance my shoes are subject to water oil and other nasty stuff every day
I think you will still have and like them a year from now

They last me about 18 months on average
I work in maitinance my shoes are subject to water oil and other nasty stuff every day. I think you will still have and like them a year from now

I am up and down a ramp on a semi trailer a couple hundred times per night so the soles of my shoes on the forward part wear out pretty quick. Granted, they've been the cheap tread safe and work boots from Walmart so I'm hoping these have a much longer life.

I'm also in parking lots of convenient stores so oil, anti-freeze, water, and whatever other nasty liquids might be there can get stepped in.

They are very comfortable, even the first day wearing them. So far I am happy with them but the real test will be how they hold up after a couple months.

I only buy and own Rocky boots. They are 100% waterproof, come in dozens of styles (including steel toe),....and always last me a minimum of 2-3 years...and that is wearing them everyday. One pair lasted my a solid 4 years of wearing.

They are expensive, @ around $120-140....but well worth it when you're getting that length of use out of them.

I worked in a plant for Chrysler in the mid seventies and I kept buying cheap K-Mart boots over and over every month or two till one day the Redwing truck pulled up outside the plant.
5x more expensive than the $20 boots I was buying but they lasted about 10 x longer too.
Support was about 10x better too.
Not long after I bought them, I dropped a whole lot of weight in sharp steel on the steel toe of one foot.
Scraped some of the leather off that area but no other damage to the boot and no damage at all to my foot.
You get what you pay for.

Years ago I went to a farm show and there was a huge Redwing tractor trailer setup selling footwear. I ended up buying a pair of work boots from them, more expensive then Walmart types but they lasted along time & was the most comfortable work boots I have ever had, even when wearing them the first day they were as comfortable as broke in sneakers.

When I worked for an electronics company, I might spend a few hours standing in one spot and assembling/testing one piece of equipment. Rubber mats helped, but the Redwings were a gift from heaven.

Dusty

Most comfortable boot I have ever owned.Bought my first Redwings
10 years ago . 100% water proof.There beat to He** but there still waterproof.I wear them to do the snow.

The down side all there shoes were made here at one time,now I here there are only 2 models still made here. The rest are made where???? You guessed it CHINA.

I used to buy Redwings till they go so expensive. Checked out Cabella's, looking for a pair the same as the RW's. Thinsulate, GoreTex, Waterproof, High top lace up. Half the price, comfortable, and long lasting just like the RW's. I've had them 4 years, walked countless miles in harsh conditions. One tough boot.

I have a pair of these boots! I've worn them to work everyday for the past eleven months. All of the eyelets have busted apart. The good news? Warranty... All of the eyelets are going to be replaced for free and I should have my boots back in a week. In the meantime. I have to wear a cheap pair from wally world. That's okay because those only last a week anyway :lol:

I have noticed that a lot of people mention that there expensive.
The one thing about redwing stores is that the sales staff work on
commision. So i haggle with them. I had one new sales person try to really
over charge me. when i complained about the price rather loudly they knocked
$ 45.00 off in a blink. Now i do it all the time and they always knock somthing
off

Maybe you've never thought about your footwear being an accessory for MDing but I'm sure just about all of us have had our footwear set off our machines..

That is all I think about. I am afflicted with big feet. But you know what they say, big feet.... big shoes:D. Additionally, courtesy of the Marine Corps I have seven screws and a plate in my left foot which has slightly changed the mechanics of that foot which has me looking for a shoe that has some stiffness in the sole to act as a platform. I am currently using some cheap wally world hi tops but they have brass eyelets and I crank my F75 with boost so high I am picking up the silver fillings in my teeth:jester:.

Question, are the RW sizes true running? Sometimes a 13 EE is actually a 12 D when coming from asian manufacturers. I don't see any local stores having the posted model so I would have to experiment from the internet.

Anyone else have luck finding a high top hiker with fiberglass shank and no metal at all that are true running sizes and comfortable?

Having a sticky on metal detecting hikers/boots that have no metal is a good idea.

Dug,

I was in need of new work shoes and Walmart just didn't have any styles I cared for, plus I wanted a better shoe. Many of the guys I work with swear by Redwing so I looked them up online and found about 4 styles I liked. I wrote the numbers down and found the nearest Redwing store. Out of the 4 styles I found online, the store only had 1 in stock and it was on clearance. They did have other styles in the store that I liked just in case my size wasn't available. I knew the ball park size (because every brand's sizes vary for some reason) and had the guy bring out 2 different sizes.

These hikers are very comfortable and didn't require the expected "break-in" period. I'm at the end of my first work week with these new shoes and I never experienced sore feet. I've also noticed that my knees and back don't seem to be aching as much. I will, as long as I can afford it, avoid buying cheap shoes from Walmart again.

Back
Top Bottom