• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Bottle experts... Can you date the tops of these bottle pieces.

gameoftag

Forum Supporter
I have a spot in a field that had a house in it long ago. Through research, I know the house was built in the fall of 1844 and was gone by 1893. Today, I set out to find the location of this long lost house in a 40 acre field, I'm certain I found the spot, but did not find much. I did eyeball a couple broken bottle pieces and I'm wondering if any bottle experts can tell me anything from the tops alone.

1) Date
2) Type of bottle (ginger beer, soda water, ect)
3) type of top (blob, applied top)

Any info anybody has would be helpful in confirming the age of this house site.

The blue one in the middle has many air bubbles in it. I know a little about bottles, but not enough to tell much.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20131102_170645~01.jpg
    20131102_170645~01.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 341
I am no bottle expert but keep learning along the way. The one of the left is most likely pre-Civil War and the two on the right are 1880-90's I would say. Hopefully others will chime in.

I am no bottle expert but keep learning along the way. The one of the left is most likely pre-Civil War and the two on the right are 1880-90's I would say. Hopefully others will chime in.

I agree about the date range for the 2 on the right, based on the bottles i have dug in the past.

the one on the left is definately a beer or spirits civil war era or just after
the aqua middle one is a late 1800's remedy, or extract and the clear ring neck is definately a medicine about 1900 to 1915

the aqua middle one is a late 1800's remedy, or extract and the clear ring neck is definately a medicine about 1900 to 1915

Thanks. that is exactly what i was looking for. the clear one is a 2 piece as it has a seam in the middle so i knew it was newer than the other 2.

there was another house in the same field that i know is more modern than the old house. I'm pretty sure it was there into the 20's or 30's. the clear bottle as well as beer bottle were found closer to the other house, but the aqua one was found right where the very old house was.

do they have a name for the types of tops these are? the aqua one is not a blob....is there a name for that type of top?

I would agree with this. Though I'd also not that the stoneware on the left -could- be as late as the late 1890s

Back
Top Bottom