• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Need advice on light weight detector...my arm is killing me.

If you don't need a digital readout, multi-tone ID, preset settings, GPS, or a cup holder on a detector, look at the Tesoro line. I use their Vaquero model and it is a fine detector. Great discrimination and depth, well made, and a lifetime warranty for the original buyer. It is the absolute best warranty in the industry and say's a lot by itself. At a third of the cost as the XP Deus, the Vaquero, with around the same size coil, is every bit as capable as a Deus. I detect with someone who does use the XP Deus also. Yes, it is a expensive, fancy looking, light weight unit. But, out in the field a Vaquero can hold it's own with it all day long. Not trying to start an argument at all, so don't take it personally Deus users. I would rather hunt with a Vaquero or a Tejon. Each are well less than half the cost of the XP and every bit as capable and you will never have to send it away and pay someone to replace a battery. Also, the Vaquero weighs 2.2lbs with the 8x9 coil and battery in it. Plenty lightweight enough...

Last edited:
F75 with the 5" coil weighs 3 lb 5 oz. It's what I use in trashy areas and is perfectly balanced and puts no stress on either my elbow or shoulder.
I can use it all day without fatigue. The unit is not waterproof but it can be used in shallow water.
I dislike the 11" stock coil due to its weight, it does throw the balance to nose-heavy and puts stress on the arm. The 8" and smaller coils are OK.

I see you already have an equinox, is that too heavy? My x terra 705 is pretty darn light also and a very capable machine...

I took my Equinox on a long day hunt and will say that in my opinion, the Deus is more comfortable to swing for any length of time. It is not so much the weight, since both are light, but the design of the handle and arm rest. The Deus shaft is above your hand, so it feels kind of like aiming a pistol. The Equinox is a straight shaft with the arm rest on one end and the coil on the other and your hand is over the shaft - just doesn't feel as comfortable to me.

I see you already have an equinox, is that too heavy? My x terra 705 is pretty darn light also and a very capable machine...

Just a tad heavier than the Deus but I plan on adding the 6” coil when available.
The Deus though is featherweight and I have zero problems swinging it with my ratcheting, arthritic shoulders.
The Equinox though will be my go to detector for the beach and shallow water.
It is very light weight but I do notice a small difference between my two favorite detectors.
Good luck with your choices and Ibuprofen for all!

Back
Top Bottom