smelly gauntlet gloves

Steve

Forum Supporter
Any suggestions how to clean gauntlet gloves that smell like a rotten carcass ? Smells like a hockey bag but no ventilation

What material are they made from? Most odor is caused by bacteria, kill it and most odor will be gone. Some things can be soaked overnight in bleach water to kill it. Other items that you can't soak, I have used the "Odor Eliminating Spay" on them. it says on can that it kills 99.9 % bacteria. It works very well. Spray them completely and let them dry. Then put in bag and place in freezer overnight. This will kill any remaining bacteria. GL Tom.

Sounds like my 3mm dive boots in summer :lol:
Just turn them inside out and chuck your gloves in the washing machine with a little washing powder Steve

Dive shops sell products that will take care of the problem. It's from bacteria because they were put away damp or wet.

I dry my gauntlets, ( and other equipment ) using the exhaust from my shop vac. I've never had a problem with the gauntlets, dive boots or anything else using this method.

Dive shops sell products that will take care of the problem. d.

Its called. Sink the stink. Its expensive around 10-15 dollars for a small bottle. It does work and would be ok for gloves but if you were doing a complet set of gear, id go other route. Bleach water soak overnight, wash in washer, dry then freeze.

odor reducing spray like that used by hunters..if it has colloidal silver in it then all the better

As mentioned above drying out after use is the best bet. Bacteria grows in moist environments and no moisture=no bacteria growth. The MAXX DRY XL boot dryer has been one of the best things I have ever purchased for outdoor sports http://www.amazon.com/MaxxDry-Boot-Shoe-Glove-Dryer/dp/B001O3ATVC. I use one to dry my waders, gloves, boots and other gear and it's been an absolute life saver. Another good bet is UV light! If you live in a sunny area turn the gloves inside out and leave them out in the sun. This both dries them out and the UV light actually kills the odor causing bacteria at the same time.

I have used used "Sport Wash" on a lot of my detecting and hunting gear and have been pretty impressed. Bleach may work, but it's not very fabric friendly and can quickly break down many materials. Another good product I have found is "OdorBan" which is a real bargain and available at HomeDepot. It's a good quick coverup.

a few problems... I'm sure bleach will damage the material, at least at a concentration strong enough to make a difference . Even if it doesn't I will have my sweaty hands in those gloves at some point. I'm sure leaving the gloves in the sun will wreck havoc on the material... maybe 4 or 5 times = holes
Seems like the best solution is just wash them in the machine. The smell should go away for a few hours

Steve, you should have kept the wife and stayed a billionaire,,,,:laughing:JK,,,I keep my stuff outside to dry overnight after I hose it off when I get home,,,,I wouldn't want to stick my nose on them but I think I am bacteria free,,,,GL HH

GD I left my waders out one night on the fence only to find the next use they smelled like cat spray...even Clorox would not get that out....

I now put everything in the garage where it is dry...and no cats.

Wetsuit cleaner will fix that. Another fix is to put them in a freezer. It will kill the bacteria but may smell up your food. :laughing:

You could also soak them in baking soda and water.

Back
Top Bottom