Tride hip mounting excal today...

jtb2017

Elite Member
While I will say one thing. Its much lighter. I have WOT on mine, so its much much lighter.

That being said. No matter where I put it. Its just in the way...!

Its really not designed to be belt mounted at all [imo]. So. Its back to having it on the shaft. Its a little heavy, but the machine is safer and outta the way.

Maybe its just me too...I only tried for a half hour. I will probably try the setup once or twice more.

As for the hunt. Not much. The beach I went to was probably better suited for a smaller coil. Iron everywhere. I dug up one pull tab. Man that thing sounded good too. Few pennies, not much else.

hh gl -Joe

Have you tried it behind your back Joe?
It's out of the way, if you have Anderson knobs it's easy to adjust settings or change to all metal from there. I also use a dive belt that gives more support when hip mounting.
I always hunt with it behind my back, never notice it now when hunting.

Ill give it a shot. Its one of the spots I didn't try. thx hh gl -Joe

Have you tried it behind your back Joe?
It's out of the way, if you have Anderson knobs it's easy to adjust settings or change to all metal from there. I also use a dive belt that gives more support when hip mounting.
I always hunt with it behind my back, never notice it now when hunting.

I would think, with the controls in a straight line, somewhat down the side/back of the leg, they might be more out of the way. My SovWOT is directly on my back left pocket. It's out of the way, but not the best location for changing settings.

R5

I mount mine behind my back. It is not in the way and I still can get to the controls as I memorized where each is at.

Been running mine behind the back for years. Mount to a nylon belt with a knob guard. Outer knob with the left hand you can reach easy and switch from pinpoint to disc easy. Need to tweak the settings all you do is spin the belt sideways and you can see every knob in seconds. It's actually quicker to adjust than shaft mounted.

While I will say one thing. Its much lighter. I have WOT on mine, so its much much lighter.

That being said. No matter where I put it. Its just in the way...!

Its really not designed to be belt mounted at all [imo]. So. Its back to having it on the shaft. Its a little heavy, but the machine is safer and outta the way.

Maybe its just me too...I only tried for a half hour. I will probably try the setup once or twice more.

As for the hunt. Not much. The beach I went to was probably better suited for a smaller coil. Iron everywhere. I dug up one pull tab. Man that thing sounded good too. Few pennies, not much else.

hh gl -Joe

I swung my excal ii on the shaft for 1 day, was like swinging a cement block,and then made a chest mount contraption. Now I can swing my MD for hours

It is much lighter. I just gotta get used to it.

I wanted to go hunting thursday, but snow :x. lol. I use a backpack, so around the back I can't do. I still might go. Ill try it out some more on the belt. hh gl -Joe

I swung my excal ii on the shaft for 1 day, was like swinging a cement block,and then made a chest mount contraption. Now I can swing my MD for hours

above the elbow,,,CF,,,,,,balanced and gives ease to go from water to dry sand,,,,,end of story,,,,,GL HH

+!

like he said. long shaft behind the elbow balances it. Behind the back is ok but a WOT is going to be heavy with no counter balance without a swingie thingie.

+!

like he said. long shaft behind the elbow balances it. Behind the back is ok but a WOT is going to be heavy with no counter balance without a swingie thingie.

I got a homemade setup for wot. That coil is just to heavy for me. I need a backpack for it though. Thanks for all the tips an ideas. Gonna dial it in this weekend. He gl -Joe

With my CF shaft and proper pod placement i can put one finger around the handle and its is as balanced as a scale. To many things flopping and hanging, drives me nuts.... not to mention difficult to add that PPer. I prefer to just have one thing to throw in the jeep.... one less thing to accidentally drop or put my hands on leading to breakage. One of the things i didnt like about the CZ too.... but you certainly couldnt leave it on the stick. Also without the counter balance i found i had to shorten my shaft length or it got heavy out of the water.

Dew

I ve being using the behind the back method from day one. Be careful of the connection, you should use a shaft landyard so you can let go of the shaft and reduces tension on the coil connect. That tip is a must. Just my thoughts. Good hunting.

I have mine diagonally on my chest. The headphone side it at my right breast this put that headphone cable end closest to my ear then the other end for the coil cable is down near my right side waist and the cable goes right to the shaft/right arm. It does not get in the way if I bend over and I have easy access to the knobs.

Back
Top Bottom