How are you all charging/storing your Nox?

pryan67

Forum Supporter
Since it's got rechargeable batteries, I can't simply swap them out when they get low....I was thinking of getting one of those y shaped things used for hanging tools in a garage (like this link)and have the charging cable there so I can hang it up when not using it rather than put it leaning against the wall or laying on the floor. Any other suggestions?

Yeah it would be nice to have a dedicated place for the storage and recharge...including the wireless phones...So far I'm impressed with the batt life on both...I was a little nervous at first, ...used to being able to change batts in field and not worrying about it......I'm popping my rig on the charger after about every 3 hunts....

Yeah it would be nice to have a dedicated place for the storage and recharge...including the wireless phones...So far I'm impressed with the batt life on both...I was a little nervous at first, ...used to being able to change batts in field and not worrying about it......I'm popping my rig on the charger after about every 3 hunts....

Thats the only real complaint i have about the nox is that worry.

Thats the only real complaint i have about the nox is that worry.

Right? Me too TP!...Its a nagging issue and has not been a problem so far, so I'm probably too cautious....but I've been thinking about getting one of those AA auxiliary batt packs just in case a guy is really on the pay dirt and the rig runs out of fuel...We have all been there, and a guy dont need no worries...Time and Treasure waits for Nobody, and to go dead on account of a needed recharge would be the Worst thing a guy can imagine! I've gotten used to carrying the AA's to fuel up my other rigs, so its a mental adjustment more than anything.....

Since it's got rechargeable batteries, I can't simply swap them out when they get low....I was thinking of getting one of those y shaped things used for hanging tools in a garage (like this link)and have the charging cable there so I can hang it up when not using it rather than put it leaning against the wall or laying on the floor. Any other suggestions?

I’ve done something similar to this. I have one of those screw-in-the-wall tool hanging things that you can get at the big box hardware stores implanted in a stud in my garage - adjacent to a wall outlet. After I finish a hunt, I hang the Nox on the hanger, attach the charging cable, and plug it in. Been working great for me.

Here in western Washington winters are relatively mild, compared to other regions, so I’m not too worried about prolonged cold weather affecting the battery’s life. I plan to bring it into the house during those times we do get “real” winter weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right? Me too TP!...Its a nagging issue and has not been a problem so far, so I'm probably too cautious....but I've been thinking about getting one of those AA auxiliary batt packs just in case a guy is really on the pay dirt and the rig runs out of fuel...We have all been there, and a guy dont need no worries...Time and Treasure waits for Nobody, and to go dead on account of a needed recharge would be the Worst thing a guy can imagine! I've gotten used to carrying the AA's to fuel up my other rigs, so its a mental adjustment more than anything.....

I keep a charged up USB cell phone backup battery pack in my gear bag. Haven’t had to use it yet - keeping my fingers crossed, though.

I keep a charged up USB cell phone backup battery pack in my gear bag. Haven’t had to use it yet - keeping my fingers crossed, though.

You mentioned the Cold...We all know the adverse effects the sub Z's have on Batt life...Before, a guy could carry spare warm AA's in their pocket...I'm for sure interested in how the NOX functions in the sub Z's..a guy might need to stick a HotFoot warmer to the brain and pull a mitten over it...We will see...

Attachments

• hot hands.jpg
    hot hands.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 339
  • snow3.jpg
    snow3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 344
You mentioned the Cold...We all know the adverse effects the sub Z's have on Batt life...Before, a guy could carry spare warm AA's in their pocket...I'm for sure interested in how the NOX functions in the sub Z's..a guy might need to stick a HotFoot warmer to the brain and pull a mitten over it...We will see...

That’s a great idea. Extreme temperatures- both cold and hot will reduce battery life. I work for a roadside assistance company. We replace a lot of car batteries during cold snaps and heat waves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm such a creature of habit that it will take me awhile to form a new one to remember to have everything charged and ready.

That’s a great idea. Extreme temperatures- both cold and hot will reduce battery life. I work for a roadside assistance company. We replace a lot of car batteries during cold snaps and heat waves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a viable conversation WB! Good on ya! .....Extreme low temps effects on our rigs...sometimes in the deep cold LCD screens go dark, sometimes plastics like shafts and armcuffs pop...coils get balled up and iced over...I dont know about the big heat, but I'm sure it has similar detrimental effects a guy has to be aware of...Curious to see if the NOX was engineered to meet the Temp challenge, what its limitations are etc...

My wife has a very large gun safe in our room, I keep both of my detectors (Nox and MXT) across the top of them.

This is a viable conversation WB! Good on ya! .....Extreme low temps effects on our rigs...sometimes in the deep cold LCD screens go dark, sometimes plastics like shafts and armcuffs pop...coils get balled up and iced over...I dont know about the big heat, but I'm sure it has similar detrimental effects a guy has to be aware of...Curious to see if the NOX was engineered to meet the Temp challenge, what its limitations are etc...

Likewise.

I’ve only had my unit since August, so durability is something that remains an open question.

The tool holder works well in my man cave, hooked the charge cable there so it is handy. I also carry one of the small USB battery banks just in case, no worries.

Since the charging cable fits into a USB outlet, I generally charge mine in the back seat of my pickup - there's a power outlet back there (formerly called a cigarette lighter:) ), and I charge up my machine on the way to and from an outing. Inside, I have the Nox and the Deus charging off a power strip in the spare bedroom/office. My only worry is that leaving them plugged in and charging all the time will harm the battery. Will it?

I'm considering a warm weather garage charging/hanging station. I was used to keeping my White's detector in the truck, and just popping out the battery pack to bring inside for charging. Now I have to lug the whole machine and headphones in for charging. As long as it's not too cold, and we don't have garage thief problems around here, I wouldn't mind charging it in my unsecure garage.
I get 2 long hunts with no problem, but it goes "bf" on me during a third hunt. That's when I break out the USB power bank bar, with the extra magnetic charging cable. I have a zip tie loop under the arm cuff, where it tucks in. Works like a charm! Back detecting for hours with no issues.(except not waterproof) The headphones have always held their charge through the three long hunts.

I'm considering a warm weather garage charging/hanging station. I was used to keeping my White's detector in the truck, and just popping out the battery pack to bring inside for charging. Now I have to lug the whole machine and headphones in for charging. As long as it's not too cold, and we don't have garage thief problems around here, I wouldn't mind charging it in my unsecure garage.
I get 2 long hunts with no problem, but it goes "bf" on me during a third hunt. That's when I break out the USB power bank bar, with the extra magnetic charging cable. I have a zip tie loop under the arm cuff, where it tucks in. Works like a charm! Back detecting for hours with no issues.(except not waterproof) The headphones have always held their charge through the three long hunts.

I'm going to set something up in the basement I think...so it's out of the way and doesn't get bumped/dropped....I wish the spare cables weren't so expensive...I'd like to have one in the car at all times.

I DO love the magnetic connection though

Back
Top Bottom