Anyone else have EMI Issues with Nox 800 on SoCal beaches?

Notanotherpenny

I went out tonight and my Nox was unusable, I couldn't even use a single frequency the EMI was so bad. Probably because of so many people with cellphones walking around.

Usually I'm able to run stable at a sensitivity of 20 on the beach if I ground balance and noise cancel.

The EMI here is horrible.

Anyone have any tips for beach hunting when EMI is an issue?

What's in the surrounding area: cell tower, airport, condos with wi-fi, radar sites, etc?

Yesterday I was getting a lot of chatter in my normally quiet front yard. Walked away as the detector was on the ground chattering away and it got quiet. It was my phone. I always carry my phone and it never was a problem until yesterday.

Yesterday I was getting a lot of chatter in my normally quiet front yard. Walked away as the detector was on the ground chattering away and it got quiet. It was my phone. I always carry my phone and it never was a problem until yesterday.

did you change locations? I have no problem with my phone except when I go to one park on the river. It is the lowest area around (hence the river) and I lose cell phone coverage. Then my phone goes crazy trying to establish a connection with the mother ship cell phone tower. When in an area with normal coverage, it seems the cell phone only checks in with the mother ship 10 or 15 minutes or so. But in the out of coverage area, it goes crazy transmitting which I can hear in my earphones. Now when at the river park, I leave it in the car.

did you change locations? I have no problem with my phone except when I go to one park on the river. It is the lowest area around (hence the river) and I lose cell phone coverage. Then my phone goes crazy trying to establish a connection with the mother ship cell phone tower. When in an area with normal coverage, it seems the cell phone only checks in with the mother ship 10 or 15 minutes or so. But in the out of coverage area, it goes crazy transmitting which I can hear in my earphones. Now when at the river park, I leave it in the car.

I was in my extremely well hunted front yard that has never had an emi problem. I think you may be on to something about it searching for a signal, because I do have a dead spot that doesn't get a good signal. I have a few areas that sometimes have bad emi. Next time it happens I'll lose the phone.

Back
Top Bottom