What’s more elusive to you? Barber Dimes or V Nickels?

Actually your screen name brings up a nickel reminder. When the V3i was a go to machine for me I did dig many of the nickel signals. I found that machine to be 100% accurate in distinguishing between nickels and pulltabs of any kind.

Yes, the V3i was keen on nickel ID. I still use the V3i when looking for a lost gold ring for someone. Analysis screens on the V is great for both nickels and gold jewelry.

I have a 1870 Shield Nickle and a 1901 Barber Dime, I found both on a farm in Elk Falls Kansas on 5/4/1994. Never found a V nickel yet. Never found another barber dime, or shield nickel since. For me finding any of those would be an excellent day anytime.

I’ve only been at this for two detecting seasons now, so my sample size is discouragingly small :grin: But this question made me suddenly realize I have a 1 to 1 V to B ratio - I’ve dug three of each total. The interesting part though, is that they’ve been evenly distributed across both hunt seasons and locations: I found one of each on the same permission last year, then I found 2 of each on a new permission this year.

So I guess I’d have to say they have exactly equal elusiveness for me, but in my case, it seems that their elusiveness is more closely tied to the quality of site I’m hunting. Looks like I need to get myself over that older dirt more often :yes:

Several dozen Barber dimes vs maybe two V-nicks.
The dimes are usually just ‘slammin’ hits, vs, meh...

Several dozen Barber dimes vs maybe two V-nicks.
The dimes are usually just ‘slammin’ hits, vs, meh...

I know what you mean! On a few old sites I hunt I dig more iffy low tones than I normally would. That’s lead to more Vs being discovered but I typically don’t get great signals off them.

Relatively even for me, 8 Barber dimes, 6 V nickels.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

5 Barber Dimes. A single V nickel. I'm confident I've walked over a few V nickels though. I have to be in the right mood to dig those mid tones.

In two years of looking I found my first two V nickels on different hunts within the last month or so. I have yet to find my first Barber dime, but have found two Seated dimes already. I will be frantically trying to find a Barber dime before years end.

Back
Top Bottom