Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Notices

Old 04-21-2016, 11:03 PM
Supporter

Default $178 later.....

Just heard from Garrett yesterday. They are holding my AT Pro ransom for $178. It cost me like $24 to ship it too!

I broke the control box mounts in August and one of the legs on the arm cuff.

To top it off they say the coil is bad too!

I've been using my F70 in the mean time, but I miss that Pro.

Well, when it comes back soon, it will be like a new machine again.

On the other hand, this machine has cost me money that I never expected. I can afford it, but man it's disappointing!!

Garrett AT Pro - 1787 MA Colonial Copper Cent, 1891 Seated Dime, 2 Fatty Indians, 5 conventional Indian heads, 1858 Flying eagle, 1898 Barber Quarter and an 1886 Canadian Penny. First and second crotal bell!! One silver ring.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:07 PM
Super Motivator

That's one reason I hate sending any detector in for service as the coil seems to always be bad. Good luck on getting the ATP back soon.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:13 PM
Elite Member

my control box mounts broke last year and I just replaced the screws, still going strong!
Of course, the fact that I drowned my unit in a lake last year hunting shotgun shells cost me about $125 for repairs

AT-MAX, AT-PRO YTD $139.87 (7)gold (53)silver (5)ster (1)FE (33)IH (216)wheatie Oldest 1802 KG III, Silver Dollar Club!

Old 04-21-2016, 11:19 PM
Supporter

Did not know that was a problem with the ATP ,thanks for the post
HH

Old 04-22-2016, 12:19 AM

Default Mounts on mine are stripping

The screws on my mounts are stripping cause I have to take the screws out just to change the batteries. I have some ducktape to fix it when it goes...

Old 04-22-2016, 02:09 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Digger-Dave View post
Just heard from Garrett yesterday. They are holding my AT Pro ransom for $178. It cost me like $24 to ship it too!

I broke the control box mounts in August and one of the legs on the arm cuff.

To top it off they say the coil is bad too!

I've been using my F70 in the mean time, but I miss that Pro.

Well, when it comes back soon, it will be like a new machine again.

On the other hand, this machine has cost me money that I never expected. I can afford it, but man it's disappointing!!
Curious,, does the $178 cover the supposed bad coil too???

If not and the coil replacement is not done,,what is the ransom fee??

I might be tempted to go the aftermarket route on coil vs paying them.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:35 AM
Supporter

TN, the $178 covers all repairs and shipping.

I'm convinced the control box sheared from rough conditions during the woods hunts. My machines go everywhere.

If you are working your AT Pro in thick brush, be careful if the control box gets hung up in vines and branches. Use care also when storing these machines.

I hope to see it today.

I've got some water hunts planned and I'm opening the toolbox.

Garrett AT Pro - 1787 MA Colonial Copper Cent, 1891 Seated Dime, 2 Fatty Indians, 5 conventional Indian heads, 1858 Flying eagle, 1898 Barber Quarter and an 1886 Canadian Penny. First and second crotal bell!! One silver ring.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:07 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by ks coyote View post
That's one reason I hate sending any detector in for service as the coil seems to always be bad. Good luck on getting the ATP back soon.
Reminds me of car inspections. Your wipers need replaced. Ah, no I just replaced them before coming because I KNEW you would say they were bad to make $5.

Not saying that's the case, just reminded me of that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

discount code A1466 |
|
|

Old 04-22-2016, 11:10 AM
Supporter

I have a coil at whites. I called them and said it's not under warranty and wanted estimate on cost to fix a falsing issue. it was very minor and I would deal with it if too much. Well they said they would just replace it as warranty. I told them it absolutely was not under warranty. They insisted on replacing it for free. Cost me $9.70 shipping to them. NOW that is crazy good service. Probably too good to remain solvent!

I've had similar experience with first texas insisting on fixing for free when it very much shouldn't be. Really surprised garrett charged so much.

|
|

discount code A1466 |
|
|

Old 04-22-2016, 02:49 PM
Elite Member

How long have you had this machine?

MD:CTX3030 XTerra 705 2018:42.38/2017:(100.10)clad|1(3).925|2(7)wheat|0(0)buffs|0 (0)V's|0(0)silver|oldest coin:1889 Indian

Old 04-22-2016, 07:18 PM
Elite Member

I replaced the coil on my AT Pro but that was due to my own brain fart. Picked up a new coil for $125 including shipping. Never had any problems with the mount(s) and I've used this thing literally just about every day for the past 21 months at least 2 hours a day. Easily over 1000 hours on it.

Recently the control box was giving me a lot of random noise and sent it in for warranty maintenance as I've had it just under 2 years. I had to send the coils in with the box (11" and an 8" coil). Coils were fine and they replaced the control box and it came back like new. Got great service from their people at Garrett.

This machine has paid for itself many times over so the replacement coil I purchased was just part of the cost of doing business. While it was in the shop I was suffering from withdrawal but my backup Coinmaster GT got me through the worst of it.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:55 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Briman05 View post
How long have you had this machine?
The machine was built in 2013. I picked it up slightly used in 2015 and registered it for the first time.

The machine was over two years old when the control box broke.

I was surprised that (according to Garrett) the coil has to be replaced. According to them there is also a component on the circuit board that was failing. The machine performed awesome even when running my coils.

This will be my last Garrett machine. When the Pro Pointer gives up the ghost, I'll be looking at others. We've been hearing bad things about the new AT Pointer.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:02 PM

The only repair work I have had done was on a compadre, and it was free and back within a week.

sometimes you never know

Old 04-22-2016, 11:34 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Digger-Dave View post
The machine was built in 2013. I picked it up slightly used in 2015 and registered it for the first time.

The machine was over two years old when the control box broke.

I was surprised that (according to Garrett) the coil has to be replaced. According to them there is also a component on the circuit board that was failing. The machine performed awesome even when running my coils.

This will be my last Garrett machine. When the Pro Pointer gives up the ghost, I'll be looking at others. We've been hearing bad things about the new AT Pointer.

The at pro should be still under warranty if you first registered it in 2015. I would call and ask for a supervisor. Garrett's customer service is usually pretty good I have even heard of them replacing pro pointers after the warranty. I would maybe ask with a supervisor.

MD:CTX3030 XTerra 705 2018:42.38/2017:(100.10)clad|1(3).925|2(7)wheat|0(0)buffs|0 (0)V's|0(0)silver|oldest coin:1889 Indian

Old 04-23-2016, 12:24 PM
Elite Member

Just imagine how much valuables it can find.