What are whisper signals and how can I hear them?

Goldenexpress

Ever since I started detecting last September, I have heard people say things about whisper signals that signal older, deeper coins. Now what is a whisper signal and what does it sound like? That brings me to another point. I have heard that additional coils can give you a better signal for deeper coins. I also heard that headphones, which I currently don't have help amplify the whisper sounds. I have an M6. I am in college and saving as much income as I can. Therefore, I do not have that much money to spend on any more metal detecting equipment. What would you suggest I do? Get a new coil or pair of headphones? Or do I nead to just learn what whisper sounds sound like?

I too have an M6, and if you're using the 9.5 stock coil, that is really an all round descent coil. I always use headphones. This will help you. If you're on a tight budget, I see headphones a dime a dozen at garage sales. Even if the're not the best, if they work, they'll be better than not having any.

Headphones for sure.

A shallow signal goes beep. That is what
we are use to listening to.

But a deeper signal is not as sharp and abrupt
as a beep. Deep signals on good targets are
smoother, quieter and longer, usually. They
can also be broken and weak.

Because they are not as loud and clear, they
can easily be over looked. They seem to blend
into the background noise. If you do not have
your sweep speed right, you probably will not
hear it............. It helps a ton to have good
headphones. I guess cheep ones are better
than nothing.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog did an excellent job of describing deep whispers. Headphones are a must. When using good headphones, you will become aware of more sounds/signals and soon detect the deep ones. RickO

Another vote

for headphones.Not only will they allow you to hear the whispers, they will save on battery life also.
I have used the cheapo walkman type sets from Walmart, Koss brand for around $5.00, and a set made for detecting from Garrett Central for around $25.00. Maybe one of these would be in your budget. Definately cheaper than another coil.

Last edited:
Just make sure the headphones have a volume control!!

Ever since I started detecting last September, I have heard people say things about whisper signals that signal older, deeper coins. Now what is a whisper signal and what does it sound like? That brings me to another point. I have heard that additional coils can give you a better signal for deeper coins. I also heard that headphones, which I currently don't have help amplify the whisper sounds. I have an M6. I am in college and saving as much income as I can. Therefore, I do not have that much money to spend on any more metal detecting equipment. What would you suggest I do? Get a new coil or pair of headphones? Or do I nead to just learn what whisper sounds sound like?

Lay some coins on the ground and with the volume turned all the way down slowly increase it while sweeping a few inches over the coins. Stop when you achieve a comfortable non tiring sound level. You made need to reduce the volume in areas with a lot of large shallow trash targets.

Protect your ears!

Tom

Definitely headphones first.

A good way to determine how your detector will sound on faint deep targets is to experiment what some of the shallow targets your sure are coins. Next time you're out hunting and get a signal you're pretty sure is a coin, lift your coil off the ground until you just start to loose the signal. This will give you an idea of what to listen for on the real thing.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone for your input. I will do that test on targets I know are coins. And I will buy a set of head phones from my whites dealer. Thanks!:cool:

Michael

Headphones.

I guess how your "whisper" sounds depends on your machine?
I know what my whispers sound like. I've even read on here that
some people interpret whispers on their machines as the absence
of sound!

Also, try to pick a quiet time of the day to hunt. One time I
rehunted an area at sunset that I had hunted in in the morning
and the whispers were much more clear.

When you use a head phones. You can hear things, from head phones that you cannot get from a loud speaker on most MD. Your batteries last longer also. (:0)

Hay guys,

I think one of the neatest sounds
is a mini ball about 10 inches deep,
and without masking.

It is so smooth and pretty. It will
usually disc out about high foil on
my machines.

Without headphones, I do not know
that I would have ever heard that
sound.

It is a thrill for me because they are
few and far between.

Happy Huntin,

I am definately sold!

I am definately sold on the headphones! Now! Should I buy the 50 dollar ones that whites sells which my local dealer said he had when I purchased my detector?

I have trouble with the blue headphones from Whites.

The wire that goes into the headphones gets loose.

My buddy also had the same problem with his......

If you get some from somewhere like "radio house" be sure that they have volume control, because most MD's don't have volume control.

wouldnt the sound be the same volume on say.. a white eagle II?
you would think anything it picked up would make the same level of noise.

Even if you just get ear buds you need those phones. Like was said it saves batteries big time. Also you can set you threshold properly by turning it down to barely audioable. Then those low tones can brake thru. Headphones arent created equal and sound differently. I hunt with my whites headphones on my ML occasionally when i know im going to be in trashy areas. They arent as loud, and the tones for various coins sound much different. Where as the ML ones are loud its harder to tell say a dime from a penny and they deffinately pick up those whisper targets better.

Dew

I am stubborn or impulsive

I am stubborn or impulsive, one or the two. I didn't even read what people said about whites head phones until now. Around 2-3 hours after I drove to my dealer and bought some phones. Hope I did not waste any money on brand name phones. Only time will tell.

Michael

wouldnt the sound be the same volume on say.. a white eagle II?
you would think anything it picked up would make the same level of noise.

Hay Detecto,

For $85 you can get Gray Ghost or Killer B's.

They have a life time warranty. The Whites
and others ware out fast. Before you know
it, you have way over $100 in different cheep
headphones.(probably like more like $200 after
a couple of years)

You could have got by with just $85 if you had
gotten the Quality Gray Ghost or Killer B's.

Buying quality can save you money in the long
run.

BUT,

The real benefit comes from hearing better.

Why spend $1,000 on a metal detector and
then go and use cheap headphones????

That makes no sense to me.

I got a $70 metal detector and a $40 pin
pointer and use Killer B's with Gray Ghost
for back-up.

That makes more sense to me,

Copyof10-1-2.jpg

Happy Huntin,

Right now I'm using a set of Audio-Technica ATH M-50's($140) but it's because they came with one of my detectors. I've got a closet full of both cheap and expensive headphones that are broken from over the years. My problem is pulling the wires out when I put my foot down on the cable while digging, and then getting up with the wire still under my foot.

The White's headphones should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom