Nox 800 dimes and soda can tops

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
found out that I was maybe missing some items. If i got a signal, espeically close to the surface, I would get out my minelab pin-pointer and check for a size. larger than coin, I ignored when coin hunting. just assuming it was a can top giving a coin reading.

But one guy on the forum said he found a gold chain using his pinpointer to size up the object. Hmmm, maybe I have been missing some good finds.

So now I raise my coil and if the signal depth increases as expected I suspect a coin. If not, then I suspect a can or even worse just the can top. The 800 loves to call them as a coin. Well they are made of metal and are round.

But now I check a little more closely with my pin pointer. I find that coins will fade out after moving my minelab pro-find 36 moves about an half inch off from the edge of the coin. On a can lid the pinpointer will still give a good signal moving 3-4 inches from the edge of a can lid. And if it is a can lid or espeically a squashed can the dept indicator will still indicate shallow when you move the coil 4-6 inches above the target where as a dime will indicate deeper as you pull the coil upward.

So I am still learning from you guys on this forum.

Hi maxxkatt,

I have the same issue with detecting large can slaw/cans vs pre 1982 pennies and clad dimes on the Nox and my XP ORX. On the Nox in addition to using a handheld pinpointer, I first use the onboard pinpoint function. I know it is a bit wonky but usually it will size a target pretty well. Large aluminum will really high pitch whine for a while whereas clad dimes and pre 1982 pennies will give a much shorter modulated zip sound if they aren't too deep.

So, if I think it might be big can slaw, I will check the initial depth reading on the Nox, do a pinpoint function check for target size and either investigate like you described or walk on. I have found that really close to the surface coins and small targets can have odd audio and target IDs and sound really weird when using the Nox pinpoint function. There is something in the manual about it I think>????????

The chains I have found whether gold, silver or copper have all had slightly jumpy target IDs and the audio has been a little crackly and distorted kind of like detecting wadded up aluminum foil.

just my experiences so far.

thanks for the great topic!!!

Jeff

I lift the coil and see how high I can get the coil before the beep disappears. A 6" dime will disappear quick. I have gotten good at it. I mainly hunt silver and a can or other large round items are significantly louder. My guess is a squashed can would have to be at least foot deep to sound like a 4" deep dime.

I lift the coil and see how high I can get the coil before the beep disappears. A 6" dime will disappear quick. I have gotten good at it. I mainly hunt silver and a can or other large round items are significantly louder. My guess is a squashed can would have to be at least foot deep to sound like a 4" deep dime.

Same here. Don't have to look at the depth meter; just swing over the target while raising the coil. This will tell you if it's coin sized or bigger. I do still purposely dig some "smashed can" type signals, hoping for something good. Sometimes you get surprised! Also, if I spend the time and energy to size up an object with my handheld pinpointer, I've already decided I'm digging it.

Back
Top Bottom