$10,000,000 in Gold Coins!!

"Well Now they are facing arrest charges for not reporting the find to the Police department in their town. "

Maybe I"m naive but why should police be involved?
They're the last people I'd trust with the loot.

Source of the Gold - Old Treasure Legend?

Now I know that everyone is speculating on where this treasure evolved from (original source who would hide 27,000 dollars face value in Gold Coins), so let me tell you about a little treasure tale that has been circulating in these parts for many many years.

I grew up in Napa, and started Metal Detecting at about 7 years old when I attended a coin show and bought a Garrett Metal Detector. 3 or four hours later that afternoon, I was hooked :p 40 years later still going strong in my love pf the hobby.

About 2 hours from me is a town called Placerville. Now I'm not saying this hoard was found there, but that it was found in that region and well Placerville (or Hang Town as it was originally called), was a pivotal place during the gold rush days.

The story I had heard and read was about a successful doctor who had a large expanse of property in Placerville (in other words, lots of wooded acres) who with his distrust in banks, would take the money he earned from his practice and would convert it to gold coins then bury it on his property. Being he had a long and solid career in Placerville, he was considered to be a very wealthy man. When he died (around the turn of the century), his relatives were surprised to find none of his wealth in his home. Rumor had it that it was buried over his property and the lucky finder would be literally be "swimming in gold coins".

Many times I've been to Placerville and actually detected there a few times in some of the hills. There's even a really nice little hardware store there that still sells gold panning supplies as well as metal detectors.

Just food for thought :p

Now I know that everyone is speculating on where this treasure evolved from (original source who would hide 27,000 dollars face value in Gold Coins), so let me tell you about a little treasure tale that has been circulating in these parts for many many years.

I grew up in Napa, and started Metal Detecting at about 7 years old when I attended a coin show and bought a Garrett Metal Detector. 3 or four hours later that afternoon, I was hooked :p 40 years later still going strong in my love pf the hobby.

About 2 hours from me is a town called Placerville. Now I'm not saying this hoard was found there, but that it was found in that region and well Placerville (or Hang Town as it was originally called), was a pivotal place during the gold rush days.

The story I had heard and read was about a successful doctor who had a large expanse of property in Placerville (in other words, lots of wooded acres) who with his distrust in banks, would take the money he earned from his practice and would convert it to gold coins then bury it on his property. Being he had a long and solid career in Placerville, he was considered to be a very wealthy man. When he died (around the turn of the century), his relatives were surprised to find none of his wealth in his home. Rumor had it that it was buried over his property and the lucky finder would be literally be "swimming in gold coins".

Many times I've been to Placerville and actually detected there a few times in some of the hills. There's even a really nice little hardware store there that still sells gold panning supplies as well as metal detectors.

Just food for thought :p

Cool story!! Non of us really can know for sure what all went down. Loved the treasure story anyhow! All those places mentioned are very familiar to me as a life long Californian!:cool:

This is the most complete account of the find and the story about the theft from the SF mint by an employee who was eventually convicted for the crime.

http://altereddimensions.net/2014/s...ld-1890-gold-coins-buried-backyard-mint-theft

Supposedly, 1500 coins were stolen, the couple found 1427. The missing coins could have been payment to an accomplice and/or spent at some point, though the story says he did keep a low profile.

It sure matches up on a lot of points. An amazing story nonetheless.

Papa

These stories claim this is "the biggest cache ever found in the US", but you know we rarely hear about these big finds because a lot of finders are wiser than this couple.

Interesting, some points from the above article...."

The gold that Dimmick stole was never found leaving some to wonder if the Saddle Ridge Hoard is the very same set of lost coins. After all, a publicly reported (and possibly estimated) 1,500 coins were stolen by Dimmick in 1901 which is only 73 coins less than the 1,427 discovered at Saddle Ridge. The dates on the coins fit the time frame and the type and denomination of the coins match too. Coincidence?"

These stories claim this is "the biggest cache ever found in the US", but you know we rarely hear about these big finds because a lot of finders are wiser than this couple.

I understand what you are saying but I think this is a "secret" that would be very hard to keep. How do you liquidate rare (Some one million dollar) coins without some red flags popping up sooner or later? Without going to an expert would they have known which ones were worth $500 and which ones were worth $1,000,000?

Indeed, how could they have ever kept the find a secret ?

Also: "....Officials say that some of the coin pieces are so rare, they could be worth around $1 million each...."

If they were unique coins maybe, but they don't seem to be so unique now.

Rather like in the UK when Gold Staters started to be found, they could fetch a lot of money.
Now that so many get found by detectorists, their value has decreased.

"If they were unique coins maybe, but they don't seem to be so unique now."

It's all about condition: these are mint.

i read that about a dozen of the coins are 'best known' or tied for best known examples which means the sky's the limit in terms of their value. As a member on a precious metals forum I frequent pointed out, their best bet would have been to simply sell the coins privately and not make such a big story out of it as now, they face at best taxation, at worst loss of the entire horde as its technically stolen property. Maybe, maybe not..

In any case, any gold double eagle is worth at least what about an ounce of gold is worth, which currently is about $1337 at this time (3/4/2014). I believe at least 1300 of the coins were liberty head double eagles. Other then the uber-rare ones no one would have any way to distinguish or identify them as anything stolen etc (unless you tell the world you have a cache that happens to fit the exact description of a stolen lot of coins with a couple rare examples that almost assures the coins are from the stolen lot..). If they were all run of the mill liberty double eagles it would be hard for the govt to prove they were stolen. But, since they include that one issue that was never publicly released, now they have issues..

So, some quick math, 1300 * 1337 is an easy 1.7 million dollars. Now, since most were high grades, they could be certified as such and sell for a healthy premium above 1337$. Provident metals will pay anyone $1350 (today) for any liberty double eagle grading at AU or better. Realistically, the exceptionally graded coins might net a lot more then 1300$ a piece. This could have all been done discretely and without fanfare but now its kind of too late.. One of the first rules of treasure finding club is to not talk about (major) treasures you find..

i read that about a dozen of the coins are 'best known' or tied for best known examples which means the sky's the limit in terms of their value. As a member on a precious metals forum I frequent pointed out, their best bet would have been to simply sell the coins privately and not make such a big story out of it as now, they face at best taxation, at worst loss of the entire horde as its technically stolen property. Maybe, maybe not..

In any case, any gold double eagle is worth at least what about an ounce of gold is worth, which currently is about $1337 at this time (3/4/2014). I believe at least 1300 of the coins were liberty head double eagles. Other then the uber-rare ones no one would have any way to distinguish or identify them as anything stolen etc (unless you tell the world you have a cache that happens to fit the exact description of a stolen lot of coins with a couple rare examples that almost assures the coins are from the stolen lot..). If they were all run of the mill liberty double eagles it would be hard for the govt to prove they were stolen. But, since they include that one issue that was never publicly released, now they have issues..

So, some quick math, 1300 * 1337 is an easy 1.7 million dollars. Now, since most were high grades, they could be certified as such and sell for a healthy premium above 1337$. Provident metals will pay anyone $1350 (today) for any liberty double eagle grading at AU or better. Realistically, the exceptionally graded coins might net a lot more then 1300$ a piece. This could have all been done discretely and without fanfare but now its kind of too late.. One of the first rules of treasure finding club is to not talk about (major) treasures you find..

The 1866S no motto was a released coin, rare yes but thousand were released. Not at all like the 1861 Paquet reverse or 1861S Paquet rev...very few of them made it out.

Personally I would have kept my mouth shut and sold them one at a time as I needed cash. I'm sure there are enough wealthy collectors to have done under the table transactions. I would have done it this way not to avoid taxes, but to keep the gov't from figuring out a way to screw you out of it all.

If I was to find the gold coins on my property and had to turn them over, I would charge rent, $1,000,000.00 a day.

Back
Top Bottom